Board of Directors Meeting Minutes January 2017
Reported by Kari Klaboe
Present: Patti Shannon, Mike Barrett, Kat Smith, Kari Klaboe, Helga Mahlmann, Gayle Hudson, Jono Dove, Maria Johnston, Alan Throop, Don Kelsey, Bernhard Sterling, Dennis Hocker, Myran Gist
Meeting called to order at 7:01 pm by Vice President – Patti Shannon.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Account Balance: $4,277.35 in our account with $2,045.75 in the classes account.
- 2016 Summary: The club had a net gain of $451.40 for the year.
- Holiday Party: The club brought in $419.13 for the raffle and had a net loss of $503.98 for the party.
Up-Coming Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- Feb: Channel Islands Confidential: Under the Kelp Canopy – Mike Boom
- Mar: California Academy of Sciences: Volunteer Opportunities – Mauritius Bell
- Apr: Little Cayman Island and Raja Ampat – Bill and Mary
- May: Reef Check – Dan Abbott
Larry Muth volunteered to present on Wakatobe. Alan suggested we contacting Patti Baugh who has been working on photos from the Philippines and Cozumel.
Membership (Bernhard Sterling)
- 81 members (9 lifetime and 5 associates)
Director of Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Advanced Open Water: Planning class dives for the end of January or early February.
Web Goddess (Maria Johnston)
- Archiving for Website: Maria is researching setting up a Dropbox account for archiving the website.
- CA Diving News: We need to notify them of our new website address.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Everything is great!
Newsletter (Maria Johnston)
- Maria developing a template for the newsletter and will keep everyone updated.
- Club members noted that each month Don would also include CA Diving News and CenCal in the distribution list for the newsletter. We noted we need to add them to our MailChimp email distribution for the newsletter.
- Patti recommended linking to CenCal’s article on changes to the abalone regulations occurring in 2017.
Constitution and Bylaws
- [no update] Don emailed Duties, Rules, and Constitution and Bylaws and needs members to review and provide comments.
- Gayle volunteered to contact CenCal and request a representative provide a five minute presentation on the organization at one of our upcoming meetings.
- Plaque: Alan Throop is still working on the club’s plaque and will provide updates at the next meeting.
- [no update] Bank Signatories: Club bank signature cards will be updated in January after 2017 elections.
- [no update] Debit Card: Greg Gleeson to removed from club account after bank signature cards are updated.
- Advertising on Club Social Media: The Board discussed whether we should have a policy for advertising on the club social media. The following was decided: “A club member can advertise on club social media and the club newsletter as long as it is dive related.”
- Membership: Announce at next general meeting that the Membership position is open.
- July General Meeting: Dennis Hocker noted it is currently scheduled for the same week as the July 4 holiday.
- Jono proposed moving the July meeting from 6th to 12th. Kat seconded. Passed. Announce at the next meeting the change in date and include change in upcoming newsletter.
- Upcoming Club Dives
- February Club Dive: Myran Gist volunteered to be POC of the February dive. The date will be February 12 and the club dive will include skill practice for surface free diving. Myran will follow up with a second dive in June to Salt Point to free dive for abalone.
- March Club Dive: Date will be March 18 and POC is Kari Klaboe.
- April Club Dive: Date will be April 22 and POC is Kat Smith.
- Scuba Show: Scheduled for May 6 to 7 in Long Beach, California (https://scubashow.com/)
- February 12: Club Dive at McAbee and San Carlos beaches – POC Myran Gist. This dive will part of a two-part series focused on surface free diving. The February club dive will include practicing free diving skills. The second dive of the series will occur in June. More information to come!
- March 18: Club Dive, Location TBD – POC Kari Klaboe
- April 22: Club Dive, Location TBD – POC Kat Smith
- May 6-7: Scuba Show in Long Beach, California!
- June 24-Jul. 8: Caribbean Explorer II, St. Maarten, Saba, St. Kitts – POC Dennis
- Next Membership meeting: February 2, 2017
- Next BOD meeting: February 16, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 pm.