General Meeting Minutes August 2017
Reported by Kari Klaboe
Meeting called to order by President Jono Dove at Round Table Pizza in Castro Valley, CA at 7:31 pm.
Speaker: Members Night
Guests: Dave Gustaf, Deb Tien, and Greg Kuftin
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- September: TBD
- October: TBD
- November: TBD
- December: No general meeting
Gayle has reached out to Clay Wiseman, California Academy of Sciences (Mesophotic Diving Work), and Steve Clabuesch (Diving & Boating Safety Officer, Institute of Marine Science at Long Marine Lab) for presentations in September, October, and November. Please check Meetup and the Aqua Tooter for entertainment updates. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
We have $4,392.48 in our account and Helga needs to send in four CenCal memberships.
Membership (Debbie Muth-Driggers)
75 members, including our newest life member, Renee Applegate.
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- For newer members, one of the benefits of the club is being able to dive with other members and work on training and skill building. Going diving is more important than more training.
- When we get more interest, we’ll hold another Advanced Open Water class.
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
Newsletter went out! Contact Lola at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
- Everything is up to date! Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The online online dive tag form is no longer available on the website, the form is only available as a downloadable document.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 96 members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 54 members. Participation is limited to club members.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
Constitution & Bylaws: Motion by Alan Throop to accept changes to the Constitution & Bylaws. Seconded by Mike Barrett. Motion passed by membership.
- Breakwater in Monterey (Ken Johnston): Just a dive to check out equipment. Club dive was supposed to be at Lovers 2, but the beach was closed. During one the dives, Ken found himself ascending in a jellyfish swarm — Dennis suggested taking your regulator out and purging to move them out of the way.
- Breakwater in Monterey (Matt Warren): Visibility wasn’t great, the temperature was 57 deg F. Saw a school of Blacksmith fish.
- Good Buddy Award: None
- Bone nominations: Kat Smith who was nominated for being the POC of the club dive and forgetting that her BCD was in the shop.
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- August 19: Silver Prince boat dive in Monterey – POC Kat Smith
- September 9-12: Channel Islands trip with Vaqueros del Mar dive club – contact Alan Throop
- September 29-October 1: Salt Point – contact Nancy Gearty
- October 21-30: Dumaguete Philippines – contact Dennis Hocker
- November 11-18: Roatan Island, Honduras – contact Nancy Gearty
- December 21-January 6: Cozumel, Mexico trip – contact Patti Shannon
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- Next Membership meeting: September 7, 2017
- Next BOD meeting: August 17, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 8:54 pm.