General Meeting Minutes January 2018
Reported by Jono Dove
Meeting called to order by President Kari Klaboe at Ricky’s Sports Theatre & Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:30 pm.
Speaker: Holly Franz
Guests: Jing, Dave Hansen, Arnaz and Iliana (from Netherlands), Chow, DL Popawile, and Abhi.
Introduction of New Officers by Jim Driggers
Outgoing Officers: Jono Dove, Helga Mahlmann, Patti Shannon-Hocker, Debbie Muth-Driggers, Kari Klaboe, Gayle Hudson, Lola Johnston (not present), Dennis Hocker (not present)
Incoming Officers: Jono Dove, Helga Mahlmann, Patti Shannon-Hocker, Elizabeth Gilroy (Membership), Kari Klaboe, Gayle Hudson, Lola Johnston (not present), Dennis Hocker (not present)
Board Members-at-Large: Kat Smith, Larry Dimitri, Jeff Donney
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- February: Paul Rosenblum – A Few of my Indonesian Friends
- March: Dennis Hocker – Dive Equipment Maintenance
Please check Meetup and the Aqua Tooter for entertainment updates. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Account: $4,728.07
- Holiday party raffle was a success and holiday party was a great success.
Membership (Debbie Muth-Driggers)
- 89 members
- Renewals are due – please renew your membership at aquatutus.org
- Email reminders will go out to the membership at large.
Training (Dennis Hocker – not present)
A lot of interest in Advance and Rescue Dive courses – more information will be available at the February Club Meeting
Newsletter (Lola Johnston – not present)
Contact Lola at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston – not present)
Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 125 Members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 69 Members, 14 Pending. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
Volunteer Positions: We are still looking for help with Entertainment. Please email the AT Board if you are interested in helping out.
- Philippines (Bill Chinnock) Cuttlefish, Leatherback turtles and a lot of great diving.
- Jim and Debbie Driggers went diving on Middle Reef for an hour in Monterey. 30’ viz- starfish are returning. A lot of urchins. 52 degree water was cause for one dive. Debbie “played” with an abalone.
- Cozumel was wonderful as always. Current was minimal which allowed for a lot of great photography. Dennis, Patti, Jono, and Jennie Arnold went to Playa del Carmen for an afternoon of diving with Bull Sharks. While other operations feed sharks, the Reef Marina. Larry Muth, Connie Klein, Arnie Warshawsky, Sid, Joe, and Owen Withers, Neil Benjamin, Elizabeth Gilroy, Jing, Elizabeth worked on deploying her SMB without issue. Elizabeth and Jing has a great night dive while Arnie decided he was done with paying for night dives.
- Neil Benjamin and Ajna Cacovic went cave diving in cenotes in Talum, Mexico. Ajna is now a certified cable diver, having finished his first two levels of certification.
- Gary went to Galapagos did five days of tours and free dives. White tip reef sharks, penguins, and flightless cormorants.
- Larry Dimitri – went on a dive on the Vision (dove all the days) lots of lobsters, and sheepshead.
- Good Buddy Award: None
- Bone nominations:
- Dennis Hocker for not checking out why his BCD seemed extra heavy. He ended up bringing 5 pounds of lead in his luggage. (Winner)
- Larry Muth – went diving while his dive computer stayed in the room and slept in.
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- January 27: Lovers Cove Beach – Meet at the stairs by the Beach at 9 am Kari Klaboe POC
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- July 8: Cozumel – contact Nancy Gearty
- December: Cozumel – contact Patti Shannon-Hocker
- Return to Truk Lagoon June/July 2019
- Next Membership meeting: February 1, 2018
- Next BOD meeting: January 18, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 9:06 pm.