General Meeting Minutes June 2017
Reported by Helga Mahlmann
Meeting called to order by President Jono Dove at Round Table Pizza in Castro Valley, CA at 7:32 pm.
Speaker: Jim Steele – The History of Diving & Evolution of Dive Equipment Part 2
Guests: Chuck Lucas (new member)
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
If you would like to present photos or video during Members Night, please contact Gayle at email@example.com one week in advance of the August meeting. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Account Balance: $5,530.43
Membership (Debbie Muth-Driggers)
- 70 members, including associates and lifetime members
- Roster emailed to club members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- New Advanced Open Water divers – come diving!
- On monthly club dives it’s suggested we practice a dive skill. The POC can lead a discussion on the skill to be practiced prior to the dive.
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
- Lots of content and pictures in the Tooter.
- If you are not receiving a copy, check your spam or junk folder first and then contact Lola at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
- Looking for a club member who has programming experience to help develop forms for our website. We would like to integrate payment of club dues on our website, instead of sending members to Square. Please contact Lola at email@example.com if you can help.
- A link to Amazon Smile is located on the bottom right of our website. If you click that link and use the Amazon Smile page for AT to make your Amazon purchases, the club will receive a percentage of the purchase as a donation.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 88 members. Participation is limited to club members.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
- Constitution & Bylaws:
- A member noted that Sections 3 & 4 in the revised documents were inconsistent and a quorum was not defined. Member discussed this issue at length.
- Motion made by Jim Driggers to accept the revised Constitution & Bylaws as is. Seconded by Larry Muth. Motion passed.
- Motion made by Larry Dimitri that a quorum is most of the Aqua Tutus board (plus present club members). Seconded by Alan Throop. Motion passed.
- BMALS: Call for nominations for At-Large members was opened at the start of the meeting. No additional nominations were provided. Nominees: Kat Smith, Jeff Doney, Larry Dimitri, and Myran Gist.
- BMALS elected: Kat Smith, Jeff Doney, Larry Dimitri
- June Club Dive: Few people are planning to attend. Some noted Salt Point is having problems with abalone due to a virus and that Mendocino is a better place for abalone right now.
- Caribbean Dive Trip: Dennis announced three spots are still available for the Caribbean dive trip.
- New Meeting Location: Rik Cederstrom mentioned that Ricky’s Sports Bar in San Leandro has a large meeting room and may be a better place to host club meetings.
- Maui (Nancy and Mike Gearty): Lots of turtles and fish.
- Breakwater, Monterey (Larry Muth, Debbie Muth-Driggers, Jim Driggers): Debbie’s BC was under weighted. 5′ to 7′ visibility along pipeline. 15′ visibility in other locations. They saw 2 crabs.
- Abalone Diving (Susan)
- South America (Fritz): Six months in South America. Two dives in Cabo San Lucas — cold.
- Breakwater, Monterey (Larry and Jim Steele): Saw octopus. Free flowing regulator during dive — now has a new regulator.
- Breakwater, Monterey (Jim Steele): Pipeline – flat with 15′ visibility.
- Reef Check Dives (Dave Chervin): Breakwater and Pt. Lobos.
- Good Buddy Award: None
- Bone nominations: None
- Bone Award: None
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- June 16-18: Salt Point Camping Weekend (Woodside Campground) – POC Myran Gist
- June 24-July 8: Caribbean Explorer II, St. Maarteen, Saba, St. Kitts – contact Dennis Hocker
- July 12: General Meeting date changed to Wednesday, July 12
- September 9-12: Channel Islands trip with Vaqueros del Mar dive club – contact Alan Throop
- September 29-October 1: Salt Point – POC Nancy Gearty
- August 18: Silver Prince boat dive in Monterey – POC Kat Smith
- November 11-18: Roatan Island, Honduras – contact Nancy Gearty
- December 21-January 6: Cozumel, Mexico trip – contact Patti Shannon
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- Next Membership meeting: July 12, 2017
- Next BOD meeting: June 15, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 9:20 pm.