General Meeting Minutes September 2017
Reported by Kari Klaboe
Meeting called to order by Vice President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Round Table Pizza in Castro Valley, CA at 7:30 pm.
Speaker: Mike Carter
Guests: Linda, William, Jay, Benji, Mike, Daniel
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- October: Bruce Watkins – Diving with California Sharks
- November: [TBD]
- December: No general meeting
Please check Meetup and the Aqua Tooter for entertainment updates. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know at email@example.com!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
We have $4,570.85 in our account and received $22.55 from Amazon Smile.
- Motion by Helga Mahlmann to donate $100 to the Humane Society in Cozumel in honor of lifetime member Apple. Seconded by Don Kelsey. Motion passed.
Membership (Debbie Muth-Driggers)
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- No training scheduled.
- October club dive skill will be buoyancy. It’s important for new divers to go diving and the club focuses on diving and skill practice. An individual must participate in five club dives before signing up for the club Advance Open Water course.
- Mike Barrett and Bo Peng finished their Advanced Enriched Air certification.
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
Newsletter went out! Contact Lola at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
- Everything is up to date! Content can be sent to email@example.com .
- Some new content on the website about Amazon Smile and eScrip.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 108 members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 57 members. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
- Recurring Club Expenses: The club has the following recurring expenses: Meetup fee, web domain, web hosting, and post office box. Motion by Alan Throop for the Club to allow the Treasurer to spend up to $700 for recurring club expenses, consisting of Meetup fee, web domain, web hosting, and post office box. Seconded by Joe Timmons. Motion passed.
- Officer Elections: Kat announced that officer elections are coming up. The following is a list of club officer positions: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Coordinator, Newsletter. Nominations will be open at the October general meeting and are open again at the beginning of the November general meeting. Elections will occur in November.
- Alan passed out a volunteer sign-up sheet. Contact Alan if you would like to help out with the party.
- Boat Dive on the Silver Prince to Carmel (2 Tank) (Kat Smith, Jono Dove, Dennis Hocker, and Bill Chinook): A little rough, but they made it down to Carmel.
- Boat Dive 2/3 way to Big Sur (3 Tank) (Kat Smith and Dennis Hocker): Diablo Pinnacle, Lobos Point, and a no-name site between Lobos Point and Yankee Point. Stumbled upon a pod of Humpback whales, lots of sea lions, and shore birds.
- Hawaii – Maui, Kaua’i, and Ni’ihau (Susan): Dove Molokini Crater and saw lots of colorful fish. Flew to Ni’ihau and dove around the island. Dove with a monk seal and saw a turtle cleaning station.
- Breakwater in Monterey (Gayle Hudson and Alan Throop): Dove Middle Reef during the week and got great parking. Saw a large wolf eel at the end of a pipeline on the edge of Middle Reef, not the main pipeline.
- Northern Channel Islands with Reef Check (Dave Chervin): 69 degrees at surface. Dove Santa Rosa and Anacapa islands. Lots of algae around Anacapa.
- Half Moon Bay with Reef Check (Bill Briscoe): Rough water. First time Reef Check tried that area and it was a learning experience. Visibility 2 meters and lots of bull kelp.
- Good Buddy Award: Nancy Gearty for taking another diver out to Monterey.
- Bone nominations: None
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- September 9-12: Channel Islands trip with Vaqueros del Mar dive club – contact Alan Throop
- September 16: Club Dive at Breakwater in Monterey – POC Kari Klaboe
- September 29-October 1: Salt Point – contact Nancy Gearty
- October 12: Club Social at Ricky’s Sports Theater and Grill – POC Alan Throop
- October 14: Club Dive at Lover’s Cove – POC Gayle Hudson
- October 21-30: Dumaguete Philippines – contact Dennis Hocker
- November 11-18: Roatan Island, Honduras – contact Nancy Gearty
- December 2-3: Channel Islands Again – Contact Nancy Gearty
- December 9: Club Holiday Party
- December 21-January 6: Cozumel, Mexico trip – contact Patti Shannon
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- Next Membership meeting: October 5, 2017
- Next BOD meeting: September 21, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 9:33 pm.