Board of Director Meeting Minutes June 2020
Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary
Meeting called to order by Devin Martinez-Shinn at 7:13 PM.
Devin thanked the Board for their volunteerism and service to Aqua Tutus.
Due to the Covid-19 Shelter in Place, the Board held the meeting via Zoom.
Members Present: 12
Guests: Larry Dimitri
Approval of April and May Minutes: The Minutes were not addressed.
Treasurer’s Report – Helga Mahlmann
- Classes: $2,778.21
- General: $3,793.46
- Club Assets: $6,571.67
Entertainment – Alan Throop
Alan asked for an updated message for the Tooter, about how members can stay in touch during SIP. Angela said she will help with this statement.
Membership – Kat Smith (absent)
No report. Jono and Helga sent a list of current members with the Treasurer’s Report.
Training – Dennis Hocker
- Dennis will schedule training when we are cleared to dive again.
- Gayle mentioned there is a new dive shop at Breakwater at the former Glenn’s Aquarius/Out To Sea location, called ScubaSource. The owner is John Richardson.
- Contact Dennis Hocker at 510-792-5606 email@example.com or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for training when it can be resumed.
Newsletter – Alan Throop
- Alan asked how we can get an email out to the membership when an urgent issue arises, such as the Kelp Restoration Project, which was looking for signatures this week. Kari can send out a MailChimp to members but asked for definition on what email requests are acceptable. Facebook was also discussed for this purpose and it may be possible, in the future, to set up different communication preferences. This topic interfaces with Larry’s new system so the discussion was tabled.
- Contact Kari at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter.
- Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Website – Kari Klaboe
- The May and June newsletter will be up on the website soon, along with an updated POC description. Kari submitted a bill for InMotion Hosting, which is $13.50 for March through September.
- Kari said the website seems to be a portal for those who are not familiar with Aqua Tutus, rather than accessed by our members. She is looking to streamline the newsletter information to not include so much cross referencing. Linda commented that she likes the fact that everything is in the newsletter and easily accessible.
- If anyone is having trouble getting the MailChimp newsletter, please let Kari know.
- Redesign of Membership and Meetup: Larry Dimitri
- Larry is upgrading the technology and working on getting all the email addresses. He said the site will be ‘one-stop shopping’ and membership information, photos, and events were discussed.
Patti reported La Cabana is open for takeout, so we’re hopeful the Holiday Party can continue at this location. Helga reported the Oakland venues discussed last month are closed and are not taking reservations.
- General Meeting
- Oran Arms and Dan Schwartz are willing to give a Zoom presentation to the membership as a General meeting; Jono will contact them. Linda volunteered to do the back-end work on Zoom for July and Alan will introduce the Speaker.
Upcoming Dives and Activities – all subject to Shelter-in-Place
Monterey has reopened for diving, but each event will be confirmed closer to the date:
- June 27: Socially Distanced Diving at San Carlos Beach: POC is Jono
- July 18: Club Dive at Jade Cove. POC is Devin Martinez-Shinn; Devin will make a decision by July 1.
- August 14-16: Club weekend camp/dive at Salt Point. POC is Debbie Driggers.
- September 26: Club Dive for Ocean Cleanup Day at San Carlos. POC is Gayle Hudson. We will team up with Monterey Bay Sea Otters Diving Club.
- October: Club Dive TBD.
- November 13-15: Multiple Club Dives (Monterey, PG, Pt. Lobos). POC is Kat Smith.
- June 26-July 10, 2021: Bonaire with Dennis.
- August 20-30: Diving in Indonesia. POC: Dennis. See ad in newsletter.
The Board adjourned to a closed session to discuss a member request.
Comments and Announcements
The meeting was adjourned at 9:25 PM.
• Next General Membership, July 2 meeting: CANCELLED
• Next Board of Directors meeting: July 16, 2020.