Board of Directors Meeting Minutes August 2019
Reported by Secretary Gayle Hudson
Meeting called to order by Vice-President Devin Martinez-Shinn at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:00 pm.
Eleven members present.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5,921.05
- Classes $2,478.21
- General Fund $3,442.84
Membership (Kat Smith)
Approximately 86 members. Meetup purge is in process. Kari said she is missing some emails from members so cannot send the newsletter to them via MailChimp and members should contact her if they are not receiving the newsletter.
Entertainment (Jenn Pechacek)
Entertainment is fully booked for 2019.
- September: Elaine Berger, Aquatic Injuries
- October: Alison Young, California Academy of Sciences, Citizen Scientists
- November: Members Night #2
- December: Holiday Party
Due to travel and work, DL will be covering for Jenn at the remaining 2019 General meetings.
Training (Dennis Hocker)
Dennis and Neil will be offering Advanced Open Water (AOW) class with the following schedule: September 12 and 17 for academics; 21 and 28 for diving; and the addition of September 24, if needed, for academics. Three students have paid their fees and there are still openings. The cost for ATDC members is $150.00, due by the September 5 General meeting. The perquisite is three club dives.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Alan will be out of the country September 3 through 23, so there may be a delay in getting the newsletter out on time. The annual Board elections are coming up and Patti will send a description of duties for the next newsletter. Contact Alan at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
- Some Board members had trouble logging into our website so Kari did some research which indicates our Inmotion Hosting could be vulnerable to hacking. Kari removed all extraneous usernames and only the Board members who actually need access now remain. Our usernames, for the moment, are reasonably secure but she may change them in the future.
- Kari submitted the annual Inmotion website renewal to Helga for payment by the end of August.
- Kari distributed a copy of an updated membership application, which she will post to the website. The new form shows “Step 1: Membership Application and Liability Release,” followed by “Step 2: Pay Dues.” This should avoid confusion to new members as to when to pay their dues online.
- Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Distribution of Member Roster – tabled from the June Board meeting
- The question of how the member roster should be distributed to the membership was discussed. Kat has been approached by members asking their home addresses not be distributed to the general membership, including for some members, their phone numbers and/or email addresses.
- Kat proposed a radio button be added to the online membership application, wherein members can ‘opt in’ to have their specified information published. Discussion ensued. Gayle made a motion to add a radio button to the membership application, allowing members to opt in. Kari seconded and the motion passed.
- Cyberlink DVD: Helga reported the Cyberlink DVD software is not available through TechSoup. Larry the Elder will look elsewhere for pricing.
- Change in General Meeting Time – tabled from the July Board meeting: The Board discussed Dennis’ recent proposal to change the meeting time to 7 pm so the meetings can end by 9 pm. Devin repeated concerns made by members at the General meeting, including concerns about traffic delays. Discussion ensued, including compromising with a meeting time of 7:15 pm and moving topics around to accommodate latecomers. It was decided not to change the meeting time. Dennis asked we limit speakers to 35-40 minutes and decrease the amount of time for discussing past dives.
The Holiday Party is scheduled for December 7. Advance tickets are $10/members; $15/guests; and $3/child 10 yrs and under. Tickets sold at the door will cost $20/20/$5, respectively. Alan will be away for most of September so Kari offered to chair the Holiday Party. She will be asking members to volunteer for tasks.
- January General Meeting: It was decided to hold the January General meeting on the second Thursday, January 9. Ricky’s will be notified of the schedule change.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Adult Sleepover: Kat heard about a 21 and over adult sleepover at Monterey Bay Aquarium (MBA) with 80’s music and a taco bar. However, tickets were sold out within 48 hours. The cost for this event is $95 for MBA members and $150 for non-members. Kat called MBA to request additional dates and was told letters might help convince MBA to add more dates. Kat also mentioned our Aqua Tutus would be interested and asked if they do special events for groups. MBA indicated they do group events, for groups of 100. Kat is encouraging members to write a lot of letters to MBA requesting more sleepover dates.
- November Board Elections: Board elections will be held in November for President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Coordinator, and Director of Training. Entertainment and Webmaster are volunteer positions.
- Annual Board Retreat: Gayle asked if an annual Board retreat will be held this year and it was decided not to schedule a retreat.
- August 23-25: Club Dive Weekend – Salt Point Campgrounds (reserve your spots!); POC, Debbie Driggers.
- September 8-10: Channel Islands with Vaqueros Del Mar Diving Club
- September Club Dive: Date TBD. POC is Kari Klaboe.
- October 12: Full Moon Club Dive at Breakwater; POC is DL Popplewell. Helga will be scheduling a morning PG Chamber Tour.
- November 9-11: Veteran’s Day Weekend to include Pt. Lobos; POC is Kat Smith
- Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available; POC Dennis Hocker
- August 2020: Club dive in Lake Tahoe; POC is DL Popplewell
- July 2021: Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip.
Kat reminded Board members that, as part of their duties, they should be offering to POC dives so we always have a Monthly Club Dive.
- General Membership Meeting is September 5, 2019.
- Next Board of Directors Meeting is September 19, 2019.
Meeting adjourned at 8:32 pm by Devin Martinez-Shinn.