Board of Directors Meeting Minutes February 2019

Reported by Secretary Gayle Hudson

Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon-Hocker for Vice-President Devin Martinez at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:03 pm.

11 members present.

Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)

  • Club Assets: $5,117.70
  • Classes $2,178.21
  • General Fund $2,939.49
  • Helga requested the Board approve a $25.00 expense to the State of California for Form SI100, a notification of the change of Board officers.  Kat made the motion, it was seconded by Kari, and passed unanimously.
  • Helga reported a check from Amazon Smile for $17.28 was received and encouraged members to designate Aqua Tutus when purchasing through Amazon Smile.

Entertainment (Jenn Pechacek)

  • March: Mike Boom, “Seven Weeks in Indonesia”
  • April: Marc Shargel, UW photographer, NorCal
  • May: Meg Donat, Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber
  • June: Members Night
  • July: Josh Russo, Purple Urchin Removal
  • August: Neil Benjamin
  • September: Chris Eng, Climate Crisis & Impact on Marine Ecology (Al Gore foundation)
  • October: Open
  • November: Member’s Night 2 (or can be moved for Presenter)
  • December: Holiday Party

Helga and Gayle suggested Helga pay for the speaker meals directly, using the club credit card and, therefore, eliminate the need for a petty cash fund.  They also suggested Helga present the mileage stipend directly to the speakers, as checks need a second signature and it would be convenient to do this at the General meetings.  Jenn and the Board agreed this would streamline the process.

Discussion ensued regarding improvements Jenn would like to make for the Entertainment/Upcoming Dives and Activities reporting at the General Meeting.

Membership (Kat Smith)

  • 2019 Dues are due.  Anyone who joined in October will be covered for 2019 dues.
  • Kat reported three Associates, 41 Regular, and eight Lifetime members are paid for 2019.

Gayle presented an idea Kat has for combining Meetup with Membership.  Kat is the first to know when a new member has paid their dues which, in turn, activates them on Meetup.  Rather than Social Media doing this task, it makes sense for Kat to add them to Meetup when a member pays their dues.  In addition, Kat should be the one to purge people off Meetup for non-payment of dues.  This task will be done in April.  Gayle will provide backup to Kat if needed.

The Board agreed Kat will take over as Organizer of Meetup and perform these tasks.  Gayle will remain as the Social Media Chair and report on Facebook, and any other Social Media issues, under New Business when the need arises.

Training (Dennis Hocker)

  • Dennis is scheduling a new AOW class for August, with Rescue Diver in September.  Pre-requisites for Rescue Diver are AOW, CPR/AED, and O2, plus four Club dives.
  • Dennis reported the most recent CPR/First Aid and O2 students have completed their coursework.

Dennis might also be requiring another pre-requisite for Rescue Diver, which is a new online course from D.A.N. called Prepared Diver, that “…provides greater insight into the science behind fundamental diving skills and highlights best practices. The course covers common contributing factors that lead to diver injury including: Respect Your Limits, Be Aware of Your Air, Listen to Your Ears, Maintain Good Buoyancy, Control Your Ascent and Assume Responsibility.”

Newsletter (Alan Throop)

  • Contact Alan at newsletter@aquatutus.org if you are not receiving the newsletter.  Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
  • Due to the fact that the BOD meetings are after the 20th of the month, those Minutes will appear in the following month’s Tooter when they can’t be submitted close to the deadline.

Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)

  • Content can be sent to webmaster@aquatutus.org.
  • Kari reported the website is up to date.  She asked the Board for their response to the featured articles that appeared with the monthly emailed Tooter announcement and the Board agreed it was a positive change.
  • Discussion ensued regarding the structure in WordPress and how paying dues integrates with the system.  Jenn suggested we start collecting ideas and look at changes that will cut down click throughs.

Old Business

Despite repeated attempts, California Diving News has still not updated our listing with our club’s new location and information and Helga said she is working on this update.

Special Committees

None

CENCAL

No report.

New Business

  • Alan requested a date for the December Holiday party and it was agreed it will be scheduled for Saturday, December 7.
  • Alan will check with Ricky’s owner Tina, to see if she is interested in displaying club photography as previously indicated.
  • DL reported John Russo has confirmed California Fish and Game is looking to integrate urchin removals into their budget, something previously done with public fundraisers.  In the future, Reef Check may be removing urchins from Monterey Bay.

Upcoming Activities

Meetings

  • General Membership Meeting is March 7, 2019.
  • Next Board of Directors Meeting is March 21, 2019.

Meeting adjourned at 7:55pm by Patti Shannon-Hocker.