Board of Directors Meeting Minutes January 2020
Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary
Meeting called to order by Vice-President Devin Martinez-Shinn at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:01 PM.
Members Present: 10
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5,674.51
- Classes: $2,778.21
- General: $2,896.30
Membership and Meetup (Kat Smith)
Membership report not yet ready; about 96 members in Meetup.
Entertainment (Alan Throop)
- February: Melanie Moreno, Reef Foundation
- March: Brent Durant, Underwater photos, videos, and tutorials
- April: Oran Arms, Underwater Robots
- May: Jim Steele, History of Dive Equipment
- June: Members Night
- July: Bill and Mari Conaway; Indonesia
- August: Liz Cunningham
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Two members in AOW and the class is finishing up. There is some interest in Rescue Diver.
- Contact Dennis Hocker at 510-792-5606 firstname.lastname@example.org or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 email@example.com for an updated class schedule and to sign up for training.
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe via email)
- Membership Application: Helga distributed an example of how we can word the members personal information to opt in/opt out on our membership application. If everyone is in agreement, Kari can try to implement it on our website. However, before we provide so many opt in/opt out choices (email, address, phone numbers, etc.), Kari wants to make sure that we actually want to track all of the options listed and that we will actually implement them on our membership roster. If we’re not interested in tracking that many options and want to simplify things, then we can possibly go with the current opt in/opt out that is shown online.
- It was decided to keep the current option on our website, which is opting in of all information or opting out of no information. Only members of the Board who need this information currently have access, as we do not have the Board staffing to compile a list of individual privacy preferences. Lori made a motion to leave the website opt in/out as is. Discussion ensued and Angela said it’s reasonable to wait until a later time when we have someone who can work a more detailed report. Kat seconded the motion and it passed unanimously to leave the opt in/opt out feature as is, for now.
- Kari has posted the General meeting minutes are posted to the website.
- Newsletter Dropbox: Kari has asked Alan to send her full size images for use on the website, but it’s difficult for him to do this because he has a basic Dropbox account. Kari would like to recommend that we upgrade Alan’s Dropbox account to a paid account with more storage, so he has an easier time sharing photos with her.
- Alan said he needs to transmit large files to the Webmaster, send a large file size to a group, and we also need to allow members to copy and send photos. Alan doesn’t believe Dropbox has this capability. Angela has experience with Google products and said she can sit down with Alan at a later date to discuss options.
- Group photo for Ricky’s: Devin would like to POC a dive in April where this group photo will be taken. Dennis has a lot of photos from the club and said a collage could be an option and suggested Devin reach out to Patti Baugh for ideas.
- Truth Aquatics Charter: Devin says Truth Aquatics is taking charters on the Vision. VDM has lost their insurance affiliation with Lawrence Livermore Lab and Bill Delameter is willing to work with anyone who wants to take over this annual event. Discussion ensued regarding the challenges of taking over this charter and the Board decided to decline this offer.
- Non-discrimination Statement for Website: Neil suggested we place a non-discriminatory statement on our website following an inquiry from someone who is interested in our club. Discussion ensued as to the language that should be used. The Board recommends the statement, “We do not discriminate. Come and join us. We welcome all,” should be added to our website.
- Old Club Laptop: Larry the Elder brought the old club laptop home to look it over and said it’s good for playing DVDs and not much else; no word processing or features the club needs. Debbie Driggers suggested their family buy it from the club to do their own video editing. Angela made a motion that we donate the laptop to the Driggers and Kat seconded the motion. Devin called for a discussion and there was none. The motion passed unanimously.
- ATDC Listing in California Diving News: Despite numerous attempts by club members, California Diving News still has us listed as meeting at Round Table in Castro Valley. Alan called a sales number and, after persistently calling three times, “Mark” said our information will be updated.
- Overnight at Monterey Bay Aquarium: Kat needs everyone to send her an email with the best date to have an overnight at the MBA. A minimum of 120 people are needed and this event is open to family and friends. Price is in the ballpark of $150+ and depends on additional options such as food, DJs, breakfast, cash bar, etc. Alan will reach out to VDM.
- February 1: Swap/Sell at the home of Gayle Hudson
- February 15: Club Dive for Valentine’s at Lovers; POC is Angela
- March 21: Club Dive: Golf Ball Cleanup; POC is Gayle
- April 18: Club Dive and Group Photo at Coral Street; POC is Kat
- May: TBD
- June 13: Club Dive at Monastery: Entries and Exits practice; POC is Dennis
- July 18: Club Dive at Jade Cove; POC is Devin
- August: Club dive in Lake Tahoe; POC is DL Popplewell
- September 19: Club Dive with Monterey Bay Sea Otters for Ocean Cleanup; POC is Gayle
- October: TBD
- November 13-15: Multi Club Dives; POC is Kat
- Club Dives to be confirmed: Entries and Exits (POC Dennis); Navigation; Marine I.D.
- Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available; POC Dennis Hocker.
- Bonaire 2021 – July 26-July 10. Spaces are available. POC Dennis.
- Next General Membership Meeting is February 6, 2020
- Next Board of Directors Meeting is February 20, 2020
Meeting adjourned at 8:21 PM by Devin Martinez-Shinn.