Board of Directors Meeting Minutes July 2019
Reported by Secretary Gayle Hudson
Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:03 pm.
Ten members present.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5,891.26
- Classes $2,478.21
- General Fund $3,413.05
Helga reported eight associate members, one student, and 100 regular members. She requested help in reconciling her totals with Membership’s July 11 report of ten associate, 78 regular, and eight lifetime. Kari requested Helga provide her with new email addresses for sending out the newsletter.
Helga also reported that the Franchise Tax Board has lost our 2010 to 2014 tax returns. Helga doesn’t have those copies, as she did not become Treasurer until 2014, and has written the I.R.S. for copies.
We have received a credit for the double billing of our annual Meetup dues. After finding no information on the website for customer support, Gayle contacted Meetup via Twitter and the credit was received within a few days.
Membership (Kat Smith – absent)
Entertainment (DL Popplewell)
Entertainment is fully booked for 2019.
- August: Neil Benjamin, Cavern and Cave Diving
- September: Elaine Berger, Aquatic Injuries
- October: Alison Young, California Academy of Sciences, Citizen Scientists
- November: Members Night #2
- December: Holiday Party
Alan reported he attended an NCUPS presentation by Ed Sheldon involving the history of diving and is contacting him to request he speak at ATDC next year.
Training (Dennis Hocker)
Dennis and Neil will be offering Advanced Open Water (AOW) class September 4. Three students have paid their fees and others have expressed interest. The cost for ATDC members is $150. All class dates will be posted to the website. The perquisite is three club dives.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Alan has received another article from Arnie in Hawaii. Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
Kari is back from Chuuk and expects to get the website updated over the weekend, including updating Board emails for new BAL members. She expects to make progress with Jenn on Square integration. Content can be sent to email@example.com.
- The question of how the member roster should be distributed to the membership was tabled until the August Board meeting as Kat is out of town.
- Larry the Elder reported the Cyberlink software did not work at a presentation, as the program only works with built-in DVD players. He is working out the bugs and Helga will check Tech-Soup for a more advanced version. The discussion was tabled until the August Board meeting.
- Kari suggested the Board start marketing for 2020 elected positions. Patti asked this be announced in the Tooter.
- Helga paid our CenCal insurance, which increased from $150.00 to $250.00.
- Dennis said a decision has not yet been made on changing our General meetings from 7:30pm to 7pm, in order to get an earlier start and not be so rushed to finish by 9pm. Gayle said she’ll wait for this decision to be made before contacting California Diving News (of which the online version currently has no meeting time and it is expected the print version will soon show our new information). Patti said the question should be asked of the membership at the August General meeting.
The Holiday Party is scheduled and work will begin in the fall to organize all the details. Alan will be away in September and asked for someone to lead the committee in his absence.
- July 20: MBARI Open House; POC is Angela Boultinghouse
- August 23-25: Club Dive Weekend – Salt Point Campgrounds (reserve your spots!); POC, Debbie Driggers.
- September 8-10: Channel Islands with Vaqueros Del Mar Diving Club
- October 12: Full Moon Club Dive at Breakwater; POC is DL Popplewell. Helga may be able to add on a PG Chamber Tour.
- November 9-11: Veteran’s Day Weekend; POC is Kat Smith
- Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available; POC Dennis Hocker
- Wakatobi, Indonesia: Larry Muth thinking of putting together a trip if there is interest.
- August 2020: Club dive in Lake Tahoe; POC is DL Popplewell
- July 2021: Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip.
- General Membership Meeting is August 1, 2019.
- Next Board of Directors Meeting is August 15, 2019.
Meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm by Patti Shannon-Hocker.