Board of Directors Meeting Minutes March 2018
Reported by Jono Dove
Present: Patti Shannon-Hocker, Helga Mahlmann, Lola Johnston, Ken Johnston, Gayle Hudson, Elizabeth Gilroy, Myran Gist, Alan Throop, Kat Smith, Jono Dove, Dennis Hocker, Billy Chanook,
Meeting called to order by Vice President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Rickys Sports Bar and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:03 pm
Upcoming Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
April: Equipment Maintenance with Dennis Hocker
May: Jan Freiwald, Ph.D., Director for Reef Check California
June: Members Night
July (12th): Backscatter will present on cold water diving and compact camera systems
August: Brian Nelson will present on Monterey Bay Sanctuary
November: Members Night 2
December: Holiday Party – December 8, 2018 at La Cabana in Newark, CA\
Thanks to Alan Throop and Dave Chervin for their help in identifying new speakers
Please contact Gayle at email@example.com if you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- $1,892.12 in club classes account; $3,717.65 in club general account
- 700.00 for CenCal February and March dues
- 16.71 income from Amazon Smile
- 249.00 Internet fees
- 16.30 in credit card processing fees (for membership dues)
- Amazon Smile is making semi-annual contributions to Aqua Tutus. If you use Amazon.com, register at smile.amazon.com and contribute a small percentage of your amazon.com purchases to Aqua Tutus. It doesn’t cost you anything and helps out your favorite, local, SCUBA club!
- Recurring Payments: Board to present motion for annual club fees at every September membership meeting. [This item is to permanently stay in meeting minutes.]
Membership (Elizabeth Gilroy)
- 40 regular members
- 9 lifetime members
- 5 associate members
- Please pay online at www.aquatutus.org/renew-membership/, at the next club or board meeting, or by USPS mail to PO Box 11952, Pleasanton, CA 94588
Director of Training (Dennis Hocker)
Advanced Open Water class
- Academics in August 2, 14, 21, 28th at Dennis Hocker’s House 38962 Larkspur St Newark, CA 94560, and a with weekend at Lake Tahoe Sept 8/9. Cost of class is $150 for paid club members. Includes registration and certification fee. $200 for non-club members.
- If any interest in training agenda: First Aid, CPR, DAN O2 provider- please contact Dennis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rescue Diver class this Fall (CPR and O2 provider required)
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
- SSL Certificate: Google is requiring SSL certification. Lola found that our current web host provides a free SSL certificate provided. Lola has performed all steps needed to enable SSL on aquatutus.org
- Lola created a new backup system established for Aqua Tutus using Google Drive
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
- Jim Driggers is assisting Lola with the newsletter.
- Content is needed for the newsletter. All content is due by the 20th, email email@example.com.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 131 Members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 76 Members, 25 Pending. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
- Liability waiver forms – develop process for archiving liability waiver forms. Helga and Elizabeth will print and store signed copies of liability waiver forms. Tracking signed forms in Google Drive.
- Reviewing frequency of liability waiver forms. Could potentially renew each year, or sign once and be done with it.
- Automated email confirmation: sent to membership, treasurer, and applicant.
- Electronic signed forms will be researched.
- Accurately describe club activities and descriptions
- Insurance – D.A.N. does not offer scuba club insurance
- OWL Underwriting covers insurance for professional scuba diving industry. Cost $2,000/year
- CenCal offers dive insurance at $250/year and an additional $100/day for special events
- Jim Kaller reviewed current liability waiver and added specific additional items to consider. Board will review and discuss adoption at April Board Meeting.
- Club Banner: Alan showed off the new banner – All were pleased.
- Club Insurance:
- Jim will review the club liability waiver and report back at March Board Meeting
- Legal Document Review Subcommittee will perform review of content for Facebook, Meetup, and welcome letters
- Adobe E-signatures, Docusign, and Google Forms will be reviewed and reported on at next Club Meeting
- Elizabeth and Helga will review database of historical waiver forms
- Entertainment Duties: There is now an entertainment committee consisting of Gayle Hudson, Alan Throop, Dave Chervin, and Elaine Berger. Gayle and Alan will coordinate speakers. Gayle, Alan, and Dave will share the responsibility of the entertainment write up. Elaine will be the digital media host at general meetings.
- NorCal Underwater Hunters May 25, 26, 27 is organizing a purple urchin eradication event at Ocean Cove in Northern California – Contact Billy Chanook on Facebook for more information
April 14: Pre-Tax Day Club Social Dinner at La Cabana, 7163 Rich Ave, Newark, CA 94560
April 21: Kat’s Birthday Dive – Point Lobos (Reservations are Open and available) POC Kat Smith
June 23 – 24: Scuba Show in Long Beach
June 28 – July 8: Papua New Guinea – POC Dennis Hocker
July: Coral Street Dive and tour of Pacific Hyperbaric Chamber – POC Helga Mahlmann
September 8-11: VDM Channel Islands Boat Trip on the Conception
June 22 – July 6: Chuuk Lagoon 75th anniversary of Project Hailstorm – the 48 hour event which transformed Truk Lagoon and World War II (All spots are sold now)
Next Membership meeting: April 5, 2018
Next BOD meeting: April 19, 2018
Meeting adjourned at 7:57 pm.