Board of Directors Meeting Minutes March 2019
Reported by Secretary Gayle Hudson
Meeting called to order by Vice-President Devin Martinez-Shinn at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:02 pm.
12 members present.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5,985.10
- Classes $2,178.21
- General Fund $3,531.89
Membership (Kat Smith)
- 2019 Dues are due. Anyone who joined in October will be covered for 2019 dues.
- Kat reported six Associates, 50 Lifetime, and 50 Regular members are paid for 2019.
- Kat said she will purge Meetup of non-paid members around April 12. She will be away April 15 through May 14, so will be unavailable to report on Membership during that time.
- Devin asked about a member roster to be distributed to the membership. The idea was discussed and tabled for after Kat returns from her travel.
Entertainment (Jenn Pechacek)
Jenn reported Entertainment is fully booked for 2019.
- April: Marc Shargel, UW photographer, NorCal
- May: Meg Donat, Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber
- June: Members Night #1
- July: Josh Russo, Purple Urchin Removal
- August: Neil Benjamin
- September: Chris Eng, Climate Crisis & Impact on Marine Ecology (Al Gore foundation)
- October: Alison Young, California Academy of Sciences, Tidepooling Photography
- November: Members Night #2
- December: Holiday Party
Training (Dennis Hocker)
Dennis is scheduling a new AOW class for August, with Rescue Diver in September. Pre-requisites for Rescue Diver are AOW, CPR/AED, and O2, plus four Club dives. Several members are working on D.A.N. CPR or D.A.N. 02 Provider.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
- Contact Alan at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter. Alan sent out the draft newsletter to the Board for proofreading.
- Alan bought a USB/HDMI adapter for the club laptop, to replace the docking station which has not been working properly and is heavy to transport. He requested reimbursement of $48.04, which Helga processed.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
- Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kari reported the website is up to date. She has given Jenn access to the website and they will be working together on website features and issues.
- Kari will be in Chuuk in June, returning in July. Jenn offered to cover the MailChimp procedures for Kari so the newsletter can be sent out on time.
Holiday Party: Alan is requesting help planning the holiday party. He expects to get started in August or September.
- Alan said Ricky’s owner, Tina, would like to display a club poster in the large room where we meet. Discussion ensued on how to proceed with this project. Jenn offered her graphic artist talents and Devin volunteered to help.
- Helga requested clarification on paying for Speaker meals, as she now handles this expense. The Board agreed to keep with the current policy of a meal and one drink each for the speaker and one guest.
- Patti reminded the Board that the Board Member-At-Large election will be held in June, with nominations in May. She requested the Board start thinking of members who might be interested in joining the Board of Directors.
- March 23: Club Dive at Breakwater (change due to wave model), POC Kat Smith
- April 27: Club Dive at San Carlos: Snorkel swim/dive to Breakwater, POC Jenn Pechacek
- April 26-27: SFO Dive and Travel Show in Santa Clara
- May 4-5: Scuba Show in Long Beach
- May 18: Club Dive at Copper Roof, POC Patti Shannon-Hocker with Dennis assisting
- June/July Club Dive: The Board discussed dive locations, boats, pricing, etc., for possible venues for these months.
- June 22-July 6: Chuuk Lagoon 2019. The waiting list is now open as all spots are sold out.
- August 23-25: Club Dive Weekend – Salt Point Campgrounds (reserve your spots!); POC, Debbie Driggers.
- Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available, POC Dennis Hocker
- Wakatobi, Indonesia: Larry Muth thinking of putting together a trip if there is interest.
- July 2021: Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip.
- General Membership Meeting is April 4, 2019.
- Next Board of Directors Meeting is April 18, 2019.
Meeting adjourned at 7:55 pm by Devin Martinez-Shinn.