Board of Directors Meeting Minutes March 2020

Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary

Meeting called to order by Devin Martinez-Shinn at 7:03 PM.

Due to the Shelter in Place Order for the Covid-19 Virus, the Board held a meeting by conference call.

  • Members Present: 12
  • Guests: Larry Dimitri

Approval of the Minutes was tabled for discussion by email.

Treasurer’s Report – Helga Mahlmann

  • Club Assets: $6,440.43
  • Classes: $2,778.21
  • General: $3,662.22

Entertainment – Alan Throop

  • Presenter Oran Arms, scheduled for the April General Meeting, has been postponed.  Alan will contact the other presenters and move a speaker to Members Night, if necessary.
  • May 7: Dan Schwartz: Macro Photography in California & Indo Pacific
  • June 4: Members Night
  • July 2: Bill and Mari Conaway; Indonesia – tentative
  • August 6: Liz Cunningham – tentative

Membership – Kat Smith

  • Seven Associates, Eight Lifetime, 63 Regular, one Student.
  • 99 in Meetup; Kat will purge non-paying members in April.

Training – Dennis Hocker

  • Dennis would like us to focus on developing more members who are willing to take new divers under their wing.
  • Contact Dennis Hocker at 510-792-5606 dennis@rxscuba.com or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 neil.benjamin@gmail.com to sign up for training.

Newsletter – Alan Throop

  • The newsletter is partially completed and will be ready by the 28th. As Alan hears that events are postponed, he is overlaying a cancellation notice, rather than completely removing them.
  • Kat asked Alan to add a notice that signing up for membership is a two-step process and new members must fill out the online form and then make sure to go through Square to pay their dues.  Kat to send a statement to Alan regarding this for the newsletter. Discussion ensued about reaching out to members who have not paid their dues. Jono will reach out to members who have not completed the process.
  • Kat said the issue of a published roster is still not resolved.  Discussion ensued.  The issue was moved to New Business.
  • Contact Kari at webmaster@aquatutus.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.

Website – Kari Klaboe

  • The website is up to date, and she is working on the cancellations. If anyone is having trouble getting the MailChimp newsletter, please let Kari know. Kari is working on the membership payment procedure and is looking to correct this issue.

Special Committee

  • Holiday Party: Alan requested the party be held on December 12.  Patti will check out this date with La Cabana.

Old Business

  • Angela Boltinghouse said Governor Newsom announced tonight that a shelter in place for the entire state will be in effect until April 19.  This means our April Board meeting will also be by telephone and she suggested an email to members that we’re on hold until the order is lifted; an announcement on our website would be helpful for any new members. Kat is looking at Meetup for how to make an announcement.

New Business

The challenge of getting people to volunteer: Kat Smith

  • Kat said younger people come to the club, are excited, start diving with us and something happens and they don’t continue with the club.
  • Discussion ensued and Kari asked Gayle to retrieve an article a neighbor of hers wrote on how to grow volunteers in a club.  Board responsibilities are listed on the website for members to read; Kari will look at the placement to see if it should be posted elsewhere.

Ways to integrate and simplify some of our e-systems (New members, waivers, rosters, contacts between members, etc): Larry Dimitri

  • Larry says the best thing you can do for your volunteers is make it easy for them to do the things they need to do in the way the Board needs to have it done.  If you minimize the work, decrease repetitive tasks and it becomes easier to get volunteers.
  • A new committee was formed to address this issue and Kat, Kari, Alan, and Larry volunteered discuss.  Larry says he could develop a new system that would consolidate our platforms. Discussion tabled while the committee gets started.

How to get more experienced divers to help less experienced divers: Devin Martinez-Shinn

  • This was tabled until the next meeting.  The Board agreed we won’t create non-Club Dive events in Meetup so as not to confuse members.  A separate box in the Tooter will list all non-club events like the MBARI Open House and Monterey Bay Sea Otters Diving Club Cleanup events.

Upcoming Dives and Activities

  • CANCELLED: April 18: Club Dive at Pt. Lobos and Group Photo for Ricky’s wall. POC is Kat Smith.
  • CANCELLED: April 18: Cleanup Beach and Dive with Monterey Bay Sea Otters Dive Club. POC is Alan Throop.
  • April 25: Skin Diving Practice at Berwick Park, PG. POC is Dennis Hocker
  • CANCELLED: April 25 and 26: Open House at Moss Landing Marine Lab with free admission. POC is Alan Throop.
  • May 8-18, 2020: Indonesia. Dennis is POC.  Check with Dennis Hocker for availability.
  • May: Local Club Dive TBD.
  • June 13: Club Dive at Monastery with Entries and Exits practice. POC is Dennis.
  • July 18: Club Dive at Jade Cove. POC is Devin Martinez-Shinn.
  • July 18: Cleanup Beach and Dive with Monterey Bay Sea Otters Dive Club. POC is Alan Throop.
  • August: Club Dive at Lake Tahoe. POC is DL Poppelwell.
  • September 26: Club Dive for Ocean Cleanup Day at San Carlos. POC is Gayle Hudson. We will team up with Monterey Bay Sea Otters Diving Club.
  • October: Club Dive TBD.
  • November 13-15: Multiple Club Dives. POC is Kat Smith.
  • June 26-July 10, 2021: Bonaire with Dennis.

Upcoming Meetings

  • The April 2 General Meeting is cancelled.
  • Next Board Meeting date is April 16, 2020

The meeting was adjourned at 9:24 PM.