Board of Directors Meeting Minutes May 2019
Reported by Kari Klaboe (for Secretary Gayle Hudson)
Meeting called to order by Vice-President Devin Martinez-Shinn at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:03 pm.
Eight members present and two guests.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $6,137.67
- Cencal dues ($465) to be paid.
- One new member joined in May.
Membership (Kat Smith – not present)
Entertainment (Jenn Pechacek)
Our September presenter cancelled and so we need help finding a presenter for that month. Also, the June meeting will be posted soon.
- June: Members Night #1
- July: Josh Russo, Purple Urchin Removal
- August: Neil Benjamin, Cavern and Cave Diving
- September: TBD
- October: Alison Young, California Academy of Sciences, Citizen Scientists
- November: Members Night #2
- December: Holiday Party
Training (Dennis Hocker)
Advanced Open Water (AOW) class is scheduled for August. Dennis has received payment from two students. The cost for ATDC members is $150. All class dates will be posted to the website. The perquisite is three club dives.
Newsletter (Alan Throop – not present)
- No report.
- Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jenn reviewed the website and the membership form text should be updated. Jenn will also look into the option of having the “submit” button on the website redirect people to the ATDC square page.
- Kari will be in Chuuk in June, so the June PDF newsletter will go out at the end of the month, as usual, with Jenn helping. The newsletter content will be added to the club website in July when Kari returns. Jenn will coordinate the Mailchimp distribution for that month and will work with Alan.
- The club is working with Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill to create a poster identifying our club. The club will try to schedule a group photo for the second members night in November.
- Board Member at Large elections will take place in June.
- Dennis floated the idea of changing the start time of the General Meeting to 7 pm. The Board decided that this can be discussed at the July general meeting.
- Recommendations for club dives – Linda suggested more boat dives. Devin is going to research a club boat dive.
The Holiday Party is December 7, 2019 and work will begin in the fall to organize all the details.
- Kari reported that Larry recommended we have a back-up date for club dives if conditions aren’t good and we have to cancel the scheduled dive day. The Board discussed and all agreed that a back-up date may complicate things too much. We do have a platform (Meetup) for club members to find dive buddies, so we will continue to recommend using that.
- We are in need of club dives for June, July, September, and November.
- July and September there will be urchin removal dives.
- Helga will schedule another tour of the hyperbaric chamber.
- June 22-July 6: Chuuk Lagoon 2019. The waiting list is now open as all spots are sold out.
- August 17: Club Snorkel – Golf Ball Cleanup in shallow water; POC is Gayle Hudson.
- August 23-25: Club Dive Weekend – Salt Point Campgrounds (reserve your spots!); POC, Debbie Driggers.
- September 8-10: Channel Islands with Vaqueros Del Mar Diving Club
- October 12: Full Moon Club Dive at Breakwater; POC is DL Popplewell.
- Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available; POC Dennis Hocker
- Wakatobi, Indonesia: Larry Muth thinking of putting together a trip if there is interest.
- July 2021: Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip.
- General Membership Meeting is June 6, 2019.
- Next Board of Directors Meeting is June 20, 2019.
Meeting adjourned at 7:46 pm by Devin Martinez-Shinn.