Board of Directors Meeting Minutes May 2020
Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary
Meeting called to order by Jono Dove at 7:01 PM.
Due to the Covid-19 Shelter in Place, the Board held the meeting via Zoom.
Members Present: 11
Approval of April Minutes – tabled due to incorrect recording of Treasurer’s Report.
Treasurer’s Report – Helga Mahlmann
- Classes: $2,778.21
- General: $3,833,46
- Club Assets: $6,611.67
Helga reported she filed the 2019 Federal and State tax returns, the RRF-1, and a new form, CT-TR-1, with the Secretary of State. She also sent copies to the Attorney General’s office.
Entertainment – Alan Throop
Alan is trying to work with guest speakers but everything is cancelled until we can resume General meetings. Zoom meetings.
Membership – Kat Smith
- 72 Regular members, 9 Associate, 8 Lifetime, 1 Student.
- 103 on Meetup.
Training – Dennis Hocker
- Due to the shelter in place order, training is on hold.
- Contact Dennis Hocker at 510-792-5606 firstname.lastname@example.org or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 email@example.com to sign up for training when it can be resumed.
Newsletter – Alan Throop
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Website – Kari Klaboe
Kari is working with Alan on the newsletter schedule. No new events are being posted. Jen recommends we chose one platform for dive activities, which would be Meetup only. This could streamline information for club members.
Redesign of Membership and Meetup: Larry discussed moving forward with two areas of the club that are most important to members for staying connected: Membership and Meetup. Next week he will make a login available to the Board so they can see the proposed platform. He can also schedule Zoom walk-throughs for Board members. The website would remain totally separate and retain the existing ATDC history.
- June BAL Elections: Helga recommended we continue with our current BAL members until an election can be held and the Board agreed this was the best solution under SIP.
- The annual event is on hold until it can be determined if the club can meet in December and if La Cabana will still be available. In the event the restaurant is not available, alternate locations like Ricky’s was discussed. Helga said the Garden Center at Lake Merritt can be rented for $35/hour, which includes the liquor license and insurance. There is an additional $25 fee if food will be served. She added that the Joaquin Community Center might be another option.
- Ricky’s – Exploring Other Venues as Backup
- The Board is looking at other venues as a backup, in the event Ricky’s doesn’t reopen (we have no information either way). Gayle will check Harry’s Hof Brau in San Leando, which is nearby and has a large back room.
Gayle sent the Board three articles on working with volunteers, written by James McBryan of Track It Forward.
What is a POC?
The description has been reworded and edited.
- Zoom: Jono reports the May General meeting went really well and future meetings may not need to be held on Thursdays, depending on the Speaker’s availability. Linda suggested Jim Steele give a presentation on explaining the technical side of dive equipment. In response to Kari’s inquiry, Jono confirmed the Zoom meetings allow up to 100 members, so it was agreed the meetings for now should be for members only. Linda offered to assist Jono with Zoom during the meetings.
Upcoming Dives and Activities
Club activities are on hold, but the following dives remain on the calendar for now:
- July 18: Club Dive at Jade Cove. POC is Devin Martinez-Shinn.
- September 26: Club Dive for Ocean Cleanup Day at San Carlos. POC is Gayle Hudson. We will team up with Monterey Bay Sea Otters Diving Club.
- October: Club Dive TBD.
- November 13-15: Multiple Club Dives (Monterey, PG, Pt. Lobos). POC is Kat Smith.
- June 26-July 10, 2021: Bonaire with Dennis.
Comments and Announcements
The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM.
The next Board Meeting date is June 18, 2020