Board of Directors Meeting Minutes November 2019
Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary
Meeting called to order by Vice-President Devin Martinez-Shinn at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:05 pm.
Members Present: 9
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $6,000.72
- Classes: $2,628.21
- General: $3,197.51
Membership and Meetup
Entertainment (Alan Throop)
- Alan sent the Board his report via email. The following presenters have been booked for 2020:
- January: Tyler Phelps, California Academy of Sciences
- February: Melanie Moreno, Reef Foundation
- March: Brent Durant, Underwater photos, videos, and tutorials
- April: Oran Arms, Underwater Robots
- May: Jim Steele, History of Dive Equipment
- June: Members Night
- July: Bill and Mari Conaway; Indonesia
- August: Liz Cunningham
Training (Dennis Hocker)
Four students are currently taking AOW. Dives are scheduled for November 23 and 30. A couple of divers are interested in Rescue certification. Contact Dennis Hocker at 510-792-5606 firstname.lastname@example.org or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 email@example.com for an updated class schedule and to sign up for training.
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
Holiday and raffle tickets have been posted to the website with a link to Square. Deadline to buy tickets is December 1 in order to receive the discounted price. Kari is updating the opt in/opt out member information feature on the website to be launched in 2020.
- Group photo for Ricky’s: Devin would like to POC a dive in April where this group photo will be taken.
- Larry asked about the former Entertainment Dell laptop, which he believes has the software that will accommodate all types of media for presenters. Dennis confirmed he has the laptop.
- Kari reports everything is ready for the Holiday Party, with the exception of someone volunteering to do a write-up for the Tooter.
- Prizes are given for winners of the various games, so Kari made a motion to spend up to $50 for gifts. Dennis seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- Alan needs someone to take home the AV equipment from the party and return it to the January meeting. Patti confirmed she will be responsible for the equipment.
- Dennis said we need a focused effort to bring in new members and members to the Board. He suggested ATDC cards we could be passed out. Contact Dennis to have your name printed on the card.
- Angela suggested small tasks be requested of members to be introduced to Board duties and it was agreed that is the best approach.
- There is a concern that divers are not carrying proper identification that first responders need in an emergency. In the past, ATDC has offered free dog tags to new members. Devin brought samples of metal dog tags he had made locally but the shop that made them has challenges; the cost is $13.00 for two tags, silencers, and chain. He suggested we try an online version. Discussion was tabled on how to best approach this idea. Gayle showed a sample of the ID tag she purchased from a vendor she saw at the Long Beach Scuba Show; the company is YourBagTag.com.
- Date TBD: Member Equipment Swap/Sell at the home of Patty and Dennis.
- February 15: Valentine’s Dive at Lovers: POC is Angela
- March: Golf Ball Cleanup – to be confirmed; POC is Gayle
- April: Group Photo for Ricky’s and Dive at Coral Street: POC is Devin
- August 2020: Club dive in Lake Tahoe; POC is DL Popplewell
- Club Dives to be confirmed: Entries and Exits (POC Dennis); Navigation; Marine I.D.
- Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available; POC Dennis Hocker.
- Bonaire 2021 – July 26-July 10. Spaces are available. POC Dennis.
- Next General Membership Meeting is January 9, 2020 (Note: 2nd Thursday)
- Next Board of Directors Meeting is January 16, 2020
Meeting adjourned at 8:34 pm by Devin Martinez-Shinn.
And that’s a wrap for 2019! Happy Holidays, everyone!