Board of Directors Meeting Minutes October 2019
Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary
Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:09 pm.
Members Present: 7
Membership (Kat Smith)
- 96 total members (9 lifetime, 8 associate)
- New members who pay dues in October will be covered through 2020.
Entertainment (Alan Throop)
Alan is working on a number of presenters for 2020 who have confirmed they will present and are looking at what months they are available.
- February: Reef Check Foundation
- March: Brent Durant, Underwater photos, videos, and tutorials
- April: Oran Arms, Underwater Robots
Alan expressed concern that Entertainment has not identified a Chair for 2020, to best coordinate duties. Entertainment also needs members to write a few paragraphs of the presentations for the Tooter. Discussion ensued to look at ways to keep Entertainment covered for 2020. Presenters will also be encouraged to write their own articles for the Tooter.
Training (Patti for Dennis Hocker)
Four students are currently taking AOW. Contact Dennis Hocker at 510-792-5606 firstname.lastname@example.org or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 email@example.com for an updated class schedule. A couple of divers are interested in Enriched Air.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
Holiday and raffle tickets have been posted to the website with a link to Square. Deadline to buy tickets is December 1 in order to receive the discounted price. Alan will link the page through the Tooter.
- Officer nominations are coming up soon. Discussion ensued on how to encourage members to take Board positions. It was suggested we could do without an office but Gayle said some offices are legally required. Kat suggested the Board meet quarterly. Gayle said we are required to meet as a Board but frequency can be looking into and this issue was tabled.
- In November, BAL members are to run the election, producing a slate of candidates, hand out ballots and pens, and tally results to report out at the end of the meeting.
- Group photo for Ricky’s: The Board discussed holding off on this as we may not have time with Members Night and the Board elections.
- Kari to lead volunteer coordination this year and volunteers are signing up.
Club General Meeting
- Kari to send out Mailchimp email indicating that the November meeting has been moved to November 14.
- Gayle will contact Ricky’s to confirm they have space for us on January 9, the date of our January General meeting. As of this writing, Ricky’s does not yet have their 2020 calendar available.
- November 9-11: Veteran’s Day Weekend to include Pt. Lobos; POC is Kat Smith
- Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available; POC Dennis Hocker.
- August 2020: Club dive in Lake Tahoe; POC is DL Popplewell
- July 2021: Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip.
- General Membership Meeting is November 14, 2019 (Note: 2nd Thursday)
- Next Board of Directors Meeting is November 21, 2019 (Note: 3rd Thursday)
Meeting adjourned at 8:47 pm by Patti Shannon-Hocker.