Board of Directors Meeting Minutes September 2019

Reported by Kari Klaboe

Meeting called to order by Vice-President Devin Martinez-Shinn at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:00 pm.

Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)

  • Club Assets: $6,044.61
  • Cencal dues to be paid: $130
  • Still receiving Open Water class funds.
  • Five new members joined.

Membership (Kat Smith)

94 total members (8 lifetime, 11 associate)

Entertainment (Laurie)

No update.

Laurie is still working with the Entertainment Committee to better understand what assistance is needed.

Training (Dennis Hocker)

Dennis and Neil will be offering Advanced Open Water (AOW) class. The class dive scheduled for this weekend (Sep. 21) was postponed to next weekend. The cost for ATDC members is $150 and the perquisite is three club dives. Contact Dennis Hocker at 510 792-5606 dennis@rxscuba.com or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 neil.benjamin@gmail.com for an updated class schedule.

Newsletter (Alan Throop – Not Present)

No update.

Contact Alan at newsletter@aquatutus.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input must be received by the 20th of the month to be included in the newsletter.

Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)

  • Events to be updated on the website this weekend.
  • Membership webpage edits seem to be working, as more people are paying for their club membership on Square. Kari will continue to work with Jenn on the Square integration.
  • Evergreen email inboxes were cleaned out, as some email inboxes were full. Contact Kari if you need assistance with accessing your Evergreen account.
  • Newsletter to come out when Alan returns from vacation.
  • Content can be sent to webmaster@aquatutus.org.

Old Business

  • Officer nominations are coming up soon.
    • Dennis, Helga, and Kat indicated to the Board that they are interested in continuing with their current positions.
    • Devin indicated to the Board that he is interested in President, if someone could step in as Vice President.
  • Group photo for Ricky’s: The Board discussed coordinating a group photo for members night in November. Devin also offered to coordinate a “photo club dive”, so that we can take action shots of club members diving.

Special Committees

  • Kari to lead volunteer coordination this year. A volunteer sign-up list was circulated at the last general meeting and there was quite a bit of interest from new club members.
    • Kat confirmed that Jono has volunteered to be the party MC.
  • The Board confirmed that the Holiday Party ticket prices will be the same as last year. Kari to coordinate ticket sales on Square.

New Business

  • Club Dive Participation: It was mentioned that it may be good to document participation in club dives better.
  • Club Insurance
    • A question was brought up regarding the club insurance coverage, as some new club members are not aware of our insurance coverage. Patti to provide a brief overview at the next club meeting for new club members.
    • Board to review appropriate language for club dives and coordinate with new POCs.
  • Entertainment Committee
    • Responsibilities need to be updated to better reflect current committee requirements and responsibilities of different committee members.
      • Alan is still willing to reach out to presenters.
      • DL is willing to help, but would prefer to not be in charge of the projector during club meetings.
      • Jenn is willing to help with Meetup announcements.
      • Committee to potentially ask presenters to help with write-ups.
    • Patti recommended that the upcoming activities announced at club meetings be tracked by one of the committee members, so that the list of upcoming activities can be updated regularly.
  • Club General Meetings
    • Kari to send out Mailchimp email indicating that the November meeting has been moved to November 14.
    • Patti indicated that Ricky’s would like us to move our January 2020 general meeting to January 9. The Board approved the change and the change will be announced at upcoming meetings.

Upcoming Activities

  • October 12: Full Moon Club Dive at Breakwater; POC is DL Popplewell. Helga will be scheduling a morning PG Chamber Tour.
  • November 9-11: Veteran’s Day Weekend to include Pt. Lobos; POC is Kat Smith
  • Indonesia 2020 – May 8-18 aboard Explorer Adventures Blue Manta – Spaces are still available; POC Dennis Hocker
  • August 2020: Club dive in Lake Tahoe; POC is DL Popplewell
  • July 2021: Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip.

Meetings

  • General Membership Meeting is October 3, 2019.
  • Next Board of Directors Meeting is October 17, 2019.

Meeting adjourned at 8:36 pm by Devin Martinez-Shinn.