Board of Directors Meeting Minutes September 2020
Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary
Meeting called to order by Devin Martinez-Shinn at 7:14 PM.
- Due to the COVID-19 Shelter in Place, the Board held the meeting via Zoom.
- Members Present: 11 Board Members and one member guest, Larry Dimitri
- Approval of the August Board Minutes: The Minutes were unanimously passed.
Treasurer: Helga Mahlmann
- Classes: $2,778.21
- General: $3,488.44
- Total Assets: $6,266.65
Entertainment: Alan Throop
- September 24: Natasha Benjamin, Deep-sea ROVs
- October 1: Stephen Palumbi, Professor of Marine Biology at Stanford University’s Hopkins Marine Station on ‘Women Who Saved Monterey Bay’
- November 5: Members Night
- December 3: Marty Snyderman, well-known U/W photographer, educator, writer
Contact Alan at email@example.com to sign up for Members Night in November.
Alan made a motion and Gayle seconded to make the December General meeting entertainment only; the motion passed unanimously.
Membership: Reported by Helga Mahlmann
78 Regular, nine Associates, eight Lifetime, and one Student for a total of 96 members.
Training: Dennis Hocker
The Club dive at Coral Street on September 26th will be a refresher dive with experienced divers available to dive with others as needed. Dennis said that, while we cannot hold classes right now, let’s go diving and work on skills.
Newsletter: Alan Throop
- Alan requested someone from the Board write the monthly paragraph about the status of ATDC’s meetings and activities. DL Popplewell said she would write the paragraph for the October newsletter and Gayle will write it for November.
- Linda Phillips said the website needs to be updated to say we are meeting via Zoom and are still diving.
Website: Kari Klaboe
- Kari said she will update the website by removing the COVID-19 notice without replacing it with anything.
- She reported she created two new email accounts for the Club Portal committee to use: No Reply for Linda and Developer for Larry.
- Kari is working with Linda to transition her to the role of Webmaster.
- Clarification on Scheduling and Announcing Club Dives with Other Dives: Gayle requested members be able to post a dive or third-party event on the same day as a Club dive because some Club dives are out of town (requiring an overnight), some require a reservation not available to all (Pt. Lobos), and some dives are too advanced for newer divers to attend. In addition, some Club dives have been cancelled at the last minute. In the interest of the stated goal of the Club to get more members diving, it makes sense to inform them of all available options on any given date.
- Discussion ensued wherein Linda said she can create graphics in the new Club Portal that will showcase our Club Dives, so they are not confused with other dives and events. Gayle made a motion to allow this change in posting events and DL seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
- Membership Vacancy: Gayle
- Gayle nominated DL Popplewell to serve as Membership Coordinator for the remainder of 2020. DL accepted and the Board voted unanimously for DL to take on this role.
Upcoming Dives and Activities:
- September 26: Club Dive at Coral Street. POCs are Patti and Dennis
- October 17: Club Dive at San Carlos. POCs are Linda and Alan
- November 13-15: Multiple Club Dives. POC is Kat
- June 26-July 10, 2021: Bonaire with Dennis
- August 20-30, 2021: Diving in Indonesia. POC is Dennis.
Comments and Announcements
- The Board discussed vacancies for 2021. The offices of President, Vice-President, and Secretary will be vacant. The following Board members will run again: Helga (Treasurer), DL (Membership), Allan (Newsletter), Dennis (Training), and Linda (Website). Board Members-at-Large are elected in June.
- Helga said NCUPS holds their Zoom meetings the second Friday of each month and they’ve had some good presenters.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:35 PM.
- New member Junior Quintero joined the meeting after the adjournment and visited with the Board.
- The next Special Presentation is September 24
- The next monthly General Meeting is October 1
- The next Board Meeting is October 15