General Meeting Minutes April 2018
Reported by Kat Smith
Meeting called to order by Vice President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Rickys Sports Bar and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:30 pm
Speaker: Dennis Hocker, “Dive Equipment Maintenance”
Guests: Anu, Matt, and Derek (new member)
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
May 3: Jan Freiwald, PhD, Executive Director of Reef Check: Abalone and North Coast Update
June 7: Members Night – Submit your photos/videos to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a flash drive/CD/DVD to the next Aqua Tutus Club or Board Meeting
July 12: Backscatter – Underwater Photo and Video: Shooting Compact Camera Systems in Cold Water
August 2: Brian Nelson, Monterey Bay Sanctuary
Please check Meetup and the Aqua Tooter for entertainment updates. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know at email@example.com!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Account: $5253.00
Membership (Elizabeth Gilroy)
- 60 members total
- 9 lifetime members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Advanced Open Water class with weekend at Lake Tahoe Sept 8 and 9. If any interest in training agenda: First Aid, CPR, DAN O2 provider– please contact Dennis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rescue Diver class this Fall (CPR and O2 provider required)
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
Contact Lola at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 128 Members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 74 Members, 25 Pending. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
Committee to investigate Club Liability Insurance – Seeking ATDC members who are interested in contributing time, effort, and/or knowledge are welcome. Please contact Kari Kalboe at email@example.com to offer your time
- Club laptop needs replacing. Gayle will reach out to Oliver Edwards for technical advice and guidance
- Purple Sea Urchin cull planned for Ocean Cove, Memorial day weekend. Divers must have a fishing license to take sea urchins. Please call (707) 944-5500, write, and email (firstname.lastname@example.org) Department of Fish and Game to change legislation on amount of purple sea urchins we can take. Current rules allow 35 per day, trying to change to 30 gallons for the cull on Memorial day. Agents will be checking licenses
Regional Manager: Gregg Erickson, Bay Delta Region 3, California Department of Fish and Game, 7329 Silverado Trail, Napa, CA 94558
- There will be a celebration on life for Art Hazelton on June 16, 2018 at Asilomar Chapel. Please speak directly to family if you want to attend. Alternatively, contact Helga Mehlman at email@example.com for more information.
- St. Patty’s Day Club Dive at Del Monte Beach: 10 members attended. Gayle Hudson and Kari Klaboe ended in in washing machine activity at Wharf II, saw lots of little life. Steven, Abhi, and Kari found the sailboat. Kat lost her buddies on the first dive but all dive buddies were accounted for at the end of day. Kat didn’t have to explain to Abhi’s mom about how she lost him.
- Elaine Berger went diving in Belize
- Mike went diving in Kona, Hawaii
- Fritz Weiss spent 10 days on a cruise to Cabo San Lucas – amongst other things, he saw a large yellow puffer fish
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- Pre-Tax Club Social at La Cabana: Drown your tax-bill sorrows or celebrate your impending tax return over margaritas and tacos at La Cabana, 7163 Rich Ave, Newark, CA 94560 (Google Maps)
- April 21 – Kats Birthday Dive at Whalers Cove: Kat will be celebrating her birthday weekend in Monterey. Come, celebrate, and dive! Reservations are now open – follow link to register your dive team.
- May 26 – 28: Purple Urchin Cull, Ocean Beach Sonoma County Coast – POC Bill Chinnock
- Long Beach Scuba Show: June 23 and 24
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- Northern Channel Islands: Sept 8-12 Vaqueros Del Mar Dive – typically $600 for three days on the Conception. Reservations are open! Contact Bill Delimeter 925.455.6834, $600 for 3 days
- Annual Pilgrimage to Cozumel: December 20, 2018 – January 5, 2019 – Come for some, all, or more! Contact Patti Shannon Hocker at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Return to Truk Lagoon June/July, 2019 – Sold out – All spots are filled.
Next Membership meeting: May 3, 2018
Next BOD meeting: April 19, 2018