General Meeting Minutes April 2019
Reported by Debbie Driggers (for Secretary Gayle Hudson)
Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon Hocker at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:25 pm. 45 members present.
Speaker: Marc Shargel – Off The Familiar Path
Guests: James Allison- an old member who has come back to dive with us again; Eric – ab diver, getting certified now; Alan – certified a few years and has decided to do more diving; Regina – has been diving locally a lot and dives the Vision; Mark – recently moved from Chicago and has decided to become a Monterey diver; Alan – recently certified w/ Jim Steele, and has fallen in love kelp forests; Claire – Jim’s student a while ago getting into frequent diving; Angela – a new diver certified in DR and looking to do more diving.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $6,552.82
- Classes: $2178.21
- General Fund: $4,374.61
Entertainment (Jen Pechacek-not present, reported by Alan Throup)
- May: Meg Donat, Hyperbaric Chamber
- June: Members Night
- July: ***Note Date Change *** 11 July *** Josh Russo, Purple Urchin Removal Project
- August: Neil Benjamin, Cavern and Cave Diving
- September: Chris Eng – Climate Change and the Impact on Marine Ecology
- October: Alison Young, Cal Academy – Citizen Scientists
- November: Member’s Night
Help with entertainment is always welcome, taking notes of the presentation, recommending speakers, backing up for Alan for set up. Any help is appreciated.
Membership and Meetup (Kat Smith)
- 69 regular, 8 associates, 8 lifetime members
- Dues are due. Can be paid online, checks/cash/square to Kat
- Meetup: 90 Members. Participation is limited to club members.
- April 10 – Meetup will be purged of unpaid members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- AOW in August. Must do three to five club dives prior to joining the class.
- If interested in the NAUI Training Assistant program, check with Neil for prerequisites.
- Rescue Diver class this September or October if enough interest (CPR and O2 provider required).
- If there is interest in any other class subjects, let Dennis know.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month. Content is always welcome. Dive reports and photos encouraged.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
Website is up to date and current newsletter posted. Content can be sent to email@example.com.
Holiday Party – December 7 at La Cabana. Planning will probably start around August.
- BOD Members at Large will be elected in June; will start accepting nominations in May. Please talk with existing BOD members if interested or you have questions. This is a good way to get involved in the club. Members at Large are expected to POC one dive a year, they manage nominations and the general election in November, and participate in the BOD meeting.
- Ricky’s would like to have a poster or some other imagery of our group in the meeting room. Diving is a sport and Ricky’s is a sports bar!
- Neil Benjamin has a few free tickets for the Bay Area scuba show, courtesy of Steele’s.
- Reef Check will be starting up again soon for the coming year. Talk to Dave Chervin
- Dave Chervin – Eel day at the Breakwater.
- Regina – this past Saturday on the Beachhopper; great conditions.
- Long Beach Oil Rigs – a number of members went and had very interesting dives.
- Larry the Younger – recently did Cozumel and cenotes.
- Kat – Club Dive, only two divers showed and they dove Breakwater with Marta. Lots of surge. Sea lions, good dive.
Upcoming Activities and Dives
- April 26 & 27 – Scuba Show in Santa Clara – Purchase tickets ahead of time to save some money. Friday is professional day and Saturday is for the general public.
- April 27 – Snorkel/swim from McAbee back to Breakwater. Let Dennis know if you want training and practice of free diving skills. Please let him know ahead of time POC is Jenn.
- May 4-5, 2019 – Long Beach Scuba Show
- May 18-19 – Purple Urchin Removal at Ocean Cove. DFW and Reef Check report a noticeable difference in the amount of kelp and healthy abalone.
- May 18 – Club Dive – Copper Roof House – POC is Patti
- Summer – TBD – Alex has provided more information but will likely not be able to take members out on a gold ball clean up. She provided Gayle with more information about the best sites to go to collect golf balls. She also advised against going on SCUBA as the sites are relatively shallow and kelpy. The sites are along 17 Mile Drive, you have to get authorized to dive that area but that gives free entry to 17 Mile Drive. Gayle will plan a clean up dive/snorkel sometime this summer.
- Chuuk 2019 – Sold Out! Wait list is now open
- August 24-25, 2019 – Salt Point Club Dive weekend. POC is Debbie Driggers Reservations now open
- September 8 -12 – VDM Channel Islands Dive. Please let Alan know if interested, will be open for registration in a couple of months.
- Maumere – Komodo – Bima, Indonesia aboard the Explorer Adventure Blue Manta. POC is Dennis Hocker.
- July – Bonaire with Dennis, dates TBD
- April 18 – BOD
- May 2 – General Meeting
- May 16 – BOD
Meeting Adjourned at 9:14 pm.