General Meeting Minutes August 2019
Reported by Debbie Driggers (for Secretary Gayle Hudson)
Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:31 pm.
37 members present
Entertainment: Neil Benjamin – Cavern and Cave Diving
- Hope – diving since ’88 started diving to overcome fear of sharks
- Karla – in class with Jim has done one dive so far, looking forward to more
- Aaron- 20 dives, joining his father for the meeting
- Curtis – with SF Reef Divers since ‘78, cave diver
- Sal – three years diving with Jim, looking to do more diving
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5,746.05
- Classes: $2,478.21
- General Fund: $3,267.84
Entertainment (Jen Pechacek)
- September: Elaine Berger – Aquatic Medicine
- October: Alison Young, Cal Academy – Citizen Scientists
- November: Members Night
Help with Entertainment is always welcome, including taking notes of the presentation, recommending speakers, back up for Alan to do set up. Any help is appreciated.
Membership/Meetup (Kat Smith)
9 Associate; 8 Life; and 69 Regular members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- AOW begins After Labor Day. Let Dennis know by the August meeting if you want to sign up for the class. Prepayment is required to Dennis. Students must have three to five club dives prior to joining the class.
- Rescue Diver class will be held this September or October if enough interest after the AOW (CPR and O2-Provider required).
If there is interest in any other training, let Dennis know. For more information on training, contact Dennis Hocker at 510 792-5606 firstname.lastname@example.org or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 email@example.com.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Content is always welcome and input is due by the 20th of the month. Dive reports and photos are encouraged.
Web (Kari Klaboe)
The website up to date and current newsletter posted. Content can be sent to email@example.com.
Holiday Party will begin at 7 pm at La Cabana; the planning will probably start around August.
- We will do a group photo at the November meeting to be hung at Ricky’s at the request of Ricky’s owners.
- Dave Chervin reports that Reef Check got approval for a culling program of purple urchins. Reef Check will oversee and provide instruction, and monitor the results. This is not urchin genocide but an organized, measured effort. Reef Check certification is not required to participate, nor is a license. Dives will be conducted at Lover’s in August and September. Please contact Keith Rootsaert firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- It’s never too soon to serve as a club officer. Please come to a BOD meeting and learn more.
- There was a discussion on moving to an earlier start time for general meetings. Concerns include getting out too late but also for commuters not being able to get here in time. It was also discussed to change the order of meeting segments; a lot of good suggestions. Discussion will continue at BOD and future meetings.
- Larry the younger – talked about his extra week in Chuuk and recommended that you research about the people you’re diving with so you know what sort of diving is available to you. After two weeks with the Tooters he was spoiled, noting that the next group demonstrated lots of crazy kicking and silting.
- DL and Matt – urchin removal: 1,000 pounds taken, lots of new people there but only the two Tooters.
- Larry the elder talked about the visit to the MBARI open house and the possibility of future presentations to the club.
- Linda P. and some other members joined one of Jim’s classes. Fun dives but the dive along the wall resulted in a lot of fishing line.
- Larry the younger was awarded the Gorilla Diver and Jono the WAR diver and bonnet for their dives in Chuuk.
Good Buddy Award
- Linda nominated Bill Briscoe for helping with Jim’s class and escorting back some divers that quit early; he was generally very helpful getting people out of the water.
- Elizabeth nominated Kari and Bill who dove with her in Chuuk and stayed together throughout the trip.
- Bill received the Good Buddy Award.
Upcoming Activities and Dives
- August 24-25: Salt Point Club Dive weekend. Reservations now open. POC is Debbie Driggers. See ad in this Tooter.
- September 8-10: VDM Channel Islands dive. Contact Alan Throop or Bill Delameter. See ad in this Tooter. Spaces are still available.
- September: TBA – Urchin Removal dive date and location.
- October 12: Club Dive is a Full Moon (almost) dive at Breakwater, 4:30 pm. POC is DL.
- November 9-11: Club Dive Veterans Day Weekend, three days of diving. POC is Kat Smith. The ninth will be Point Lobos; 10th and 11th locations TBA. Let Kat know if you’ll be attending as she is thinking of renting a house for the weekend.
- December 20 to January 4: 16th Annual Cozumel Extravaganza. Patti will arrange hotels, contact her for space. Dive with Dive Paradise. $86 per room per night dbl occupancy or $82 for single in a room. Ten members have signed up and more are interested.
- May 8-18: Indonesia, one space remaining. Dennis is POC
- July: Bonaire with Dennis.
- August 15 – BOD
- September 5 – General Meeting
- September 19 – BOD
Meeting adjourned 9:29 pm.