General Meeting Minutes February 2017
Meeting called to order by President Jono Dove at Round Table Pizza in Castro Valley, CA at 7:30 pm.
Speakers: Mike Boom
Guests: Mark, Patty, Chuck, Svetlana, Sean
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- Mar: California Academy of Science: Volunteer Diver Opportunities – Mauritius Bell
- Apr: Lembeh Strait & Raja Ampat – William and Mari Conaway
- May: Reef Check California – Dan Abbott
Please contact Gayle (email@example.com) if you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Account Balance: $4,747.83
- Don’t forget to pay your 2017 dues!
Membership (Bernhard Sterling – not present)
- 79 club members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Advanced Open Water: Dive scheduled for February 4, 2017. Please check the club website for training updates.
Newsletter (Maria Johnston)
- Newsletter input due by the 20th of the month.
- Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web Goddess (Maria Johnston)
- Website is up to date. Check out the calendar if you want to see what events are coming up.
- Content can be sent to email@example.com.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 83 members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 85 members. Participation is limited to club members.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
- Membership Chair: Bernhard Sterling has decided to step down as membership chair. The club had one volunteer for membership chair at the club meeting.
- Motion to elect Debbie Driggers as Membership Chair. Motion passed.
- July General Meeting Date Changed: Originally July 6 and moved to Wednesday, July 12.
- Moss Landing Research: Dave Chervin announced a new program by Moss Landing Marine Labs focused on analyzing underwater video at great depths. The program hopes to crowd source the analysis of the video for fish identification.
- Cayman Islands (Lee): Lee spent a week in the Cayman Islands at the Cayman Beach resort and dove 17 dives. He went with a group called “The Surge” sponsored through Scuba Board. There were around 80 divers in the group and they saw lots of sharks and rays. Lee is currently working on editing his dive video for uploading to Youtube.
- Cozumel and Tulum, Mexico (Neil and Elizabeth): Neil and Elizabeth traveled with fellow club members to Cozumel at the end of 2016. They also traveled to Tulum, Mexico for cave diving. They went on a cavern dive consisting of a 45 minute loop that covered four cenotes, one called the “Point of Life.”
- San Carlos Beach, Monterey (Jim Steele): Monterey was calm during the last major storm, with visibility around 40 feet.
- San Carlos Beach, Monterey (Alan Throop & others): January club dive. Alan brought a new club member, Alma, out on her first cold water dive. Adnan brought his two sons and had a great family dive.
- Good Buddy Award: None
- Bone nominations: None
- Bone Award: None
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- February 4: Advanced Open Water class dive – POC Neil Benjamin and Dennis Hocker
- February 12: Club Dive at San Carlos Beach/McAbee Beach – POC Myran Gist
- March 18: Club Dive TBD – POC Kari Klaboe
- April 15: Club Dive TBD – POC Kat Smith
- May 6-7: Scuba Show in Long Beach, California
- May 27-June 4: Bonaire Dive Buddy Resort – POC Neil Benjamin and Idonya Pickney
- June 24-July 8: Caribbean Explorer II, St. Maarteen, Saba, St. Kitts – POC Dennis Hocker
- July 12: General Meeting date changed to Wednesday, July 12
- December ??: Cozumel, Mexico trip – POC Dennis Hocker
- Next Membership meeting: March 2, 2017
- Next BOD meeting: February 16, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 8:52 PM.