General Meeting Minutes February 2019
Reported by Debbie Driggers (for Secretary Gayle Hudson)
Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon Hocker at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:31 pm. 45 members present.
Speaker: David McGuire of Shark Stewards gave a presentation on his organization’s latest efforts to protect shark populations.
Guests: Jay, who has a boat and has been diving for some time and looking to dive more; Jane, an old time local diver wants to dive more; Lindsay visiting from VDM; Andrew new to the area and to diving; Chris, who would like to speak with us in the future about climate change; and Andy, who learned to dive as PE class and is now retired and back to diving.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5501.66
- Classes: $2,178.21
- General Fund: $3,323.45
Entertainment (Jen Pechacek)
- March: Mike Boom, “Diving the Philippines”
- April: Marc Shargel, UW photographer, NorCal
- May: Meg Donat, Hyperbaric Chamber
- June: Members Night
Membership (Kat Smith)
30 regular, 3 associates, 9 lifetime members
Dues are due. Can be paid online, checks/cash/square to Kat
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- AOW: Probably in late July, early August
- Rescue Diver: This September if enough interest (CPR and O2 provider required)
If there is interest in any other class subjects, let Dennis know.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month. Content is always welcome. Dive reports and photos encouraged.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
The website up to date and current newsletter posted. Content can be sent to email@example.com.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
Meetup: 85 members. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website. The purge will occur in a month for those who have not paid 2019 dues.
- Club survey results indicate people are interested in more outside activities. Please let a BOD member know or schedule something yourself. Please consider scheduling a dive yourself if you want to try somewhere new.
- Neil Benjamin – NAUI offers a Training Assistant certification. If anyone is interested, pre-requisites are AOW, Rescue, and O2 provider. This is a step before Divemaster that doesn’t require professional membership in NAUI, or the purchase of professional liability insurance. Contact Neil, firstname.lastname@example.org, if interested.
- Ajna – is now a fully certified Cave Diver
- Matt – just received Assistant Instructor Certification
- BOD At Large open position was filled at the last BOD meeting by Chuck Harlins.
- Members are encouraged to attend BOD meetings
- Dues are due
- James – Diving in Columbia – he reported the protected areas not in great shape.
- Kate – dove Lover’s Cove recently and the wave model lied about the conditions!
- Bo – dove Breakwater, not too exciting.
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- February 23, 2019 – Lover’s: POC is Kari. Meet near glass boat/grill area.
- March 7-10, 2019 – International Ocean Film Festival, SF www.intloceanfilmfest.org,Volunteer opportunities are available
- March 9 &10 – Purple Urchin dive at VanDamme State Park: POC is DL Popplewell
- March 9 – Amos Nachom is showing a film in Monterey, details in the Tooter
- March-April – Potential golf ball clean up dive in Carmel Bay: Gayle will advise date.
- March 23 – Club Dive at Coral Street (or McAbee): POC is Kat Smith
- March 30 – La Cabana dinner 6pm-ish: meet the new owners and introduce the club to them
- April 26 & 27 – Scuba Show in Santa Clara
- Chuuk Lagoon 2019 – The waiting list is now open – all spots are sold out
- August 24-25, 2019 – Salt Point Club Dive weekend: POC Debbie Driggers
- May 4-5, 2019 – Long Beach Scuba Show
- September 8 -12 – VDM Channel Islands Dive: please let Alan know if interested
- Maumere – Komodo – Bima, Indonesia aboard the Explorer Adventure Blue Manta: POC Dennis Hocker
- Larry the Elder is thinking to put together at trip on the Pelagian (Wakatobi, Indonesia). Let him know if interested.
- Dennis is looking into a July Bonaire trip
March 7 – General Meeting
March 21 – BOD
Meeting Adjourned: 9:06 pm