General Meeting Minutes January 2017
Reported by Kari Klaboe
Meeting called to order by President Jono Dove at Round Table Pizza in Castro Valley, CA at 7:31 pm.
Speakers: Jim Steele
Guests: Mark, Gary
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- Feb: Channel Islands Confidential: Under the Kelp Canopy – Mike Boom
- Mar: California Academy of Science: Volunteer Diver Opportunities – Mauritius Bell
- Apr: Lembeh Strait & Raja Ampat – William and Mary Conaway
Please contact Gayle if you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Account Balance: $4,392
Membership (Bernhard Sterling)
- 79 club members at the end of 2016
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Advanced Open Water: Class in progress.
Newsletter (Maria Johnston)
- Newsletter coming up will be Maria’s first. Input due by the 20th of the month.
- Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web Goddess (Maria Johnston)
- Website is up to date. Check out the calendar if you want to see what events are coming up.
- Content can be sent to email@example.com.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 82 members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 83 members. Participation is limited to club members.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
- Holiday Party 2016: Thank you to club members who volunteered and those who donated raffle prizes for our fundraiser. Our raffle fundraiser raised $410 for the Pacific Grove hyperbaric chamber.
- 2016 Officers: Dennis Hocker thanked the 2016 officers for their contributions over the past year
- Cozumel, Mexico (Jono Dove): Many club members traveled to Cozumel at the end of December and enjoyed some wonderful diving. Jono had an O-ring blow out on his first stage, and was assisted underwater by Dennis Hocker and Arnie W. Divers saw many eagles rays and nurse sharks.
- Cozumel, Mexico (Gayle Hudson): Gayle Hudson traveled to Cozumel in the beginning of December and stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel. She had eight wonderful dives with 80 to 100 feet of visibility before she fell and broke her foot. We all wish Gayle a speedy recovery!
- Cozumel, Mexico (Ken and Maria Johnston): Ken and Maria were also in Cozumel at the beginning of December and reported the dive conditions were good.
- Point Lobos State Park (Larry Muth): The conditions at Point Lobos were rough, and he decided not to dive that day. Visibility was reportedly less than one foot and a rescue team came down to check if anyone was in the water. Larry did have a marvelous day watching waves.
- Philippines: Patti Baugh did 47 dives in the Philippines over 13 days.
- Past Dive Update: At our last club dive at Point Lobos, Larry Dimitri lost his weight belt during the dive and reported at today’s meeting that it was returned. Thanks to Mike Barrett for coordinating the return!
- Good Buddy Award: Arnie W. for keeping Jono alive in Cozumel after his O-ring blew out.
- Bone nominations: Arnie W. for grabbing and putting on Sheila Doney’s wet suit.
- Bone Award: Arnie W.
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- January 14: Club Dive at San Carlos Beach, Monterey – POC Kari Klaboe
- May 27 – June 4: Bonaire Dive Buddy Resort – POC Neil Benjamin and Idonya Pickney
- June 24-July 8: Caribbean Explorer II, St. Maarteen, Saba, St. Kitts – POC Dennis Hocker
- Next Membership meeting: February 2, 2017
- Next BOD meeting: January 19, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 8:46 PM.