General Meeting Minutes January 2019
Reported by Debbie Driggers (for Secretary Gayle Hudson)
Meeting called to order by past President Kari Klaboe at Ricky’s Sports Bar and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:33 pm.
President Patti Shannon-Hocker and Dennis Hocker thanked outgoing Board officers and introduced incoming officers.
Entertainment: Dennis Hocker gave a presentation on Monterey dive sites.
Members present: 42
Guests: Julie Walsh, Carl, Stanley and Raymond Low (old friends of Jim Steele). Ray, Haley and Elliott attending as new members at their first meeting. Enan; Kate, a member long ago and has come back to dive with us again. Arne and Gail visiting from Honolulu.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5412.66
- Classes: $2,178.21
- General Fund: $3,234.45
Entertainment (Jen Pechacek)
- February: David McGuire from Shark Stewards
- March: Mike Boom, “Diving the Philippines”
- April: Marc Shargel, UW photographer, NorCal
- May: Meg Donat, Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber
- June: Members Night
Membership (Kat Smith)
Dues are due. Can be paid online, checks/cash/or Square.
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- There is potential interest in a skin diving class on the North Coast. Contact Dennis if interested.
- Dennis will offer AOW if there is enough interest.
- Rescue Diver class will be held this Spring (prerequisites are CPR and O2 provider)
- For more information on training, including interest of any other classes, please contact Dennis Hocker at (510) 792-5606, firstname.lastname@example.org, Neil Benjamin at (510) 673-0073, or email@example.com.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input is due by the 20th of the month.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
Content can be sent to email@example.com.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
Meetup: 82 Members. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
Holiday Party Report
Thanks for the raffle donations. These funds totaling $491 were donated to the Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber and, since this donation was paid prior to end of year, these funds were matched.
With the goal of generating more member participation. Patti will send personal invitations to random members to join the monthly Board meeting. This is not mandatory but to encourage greater participation and involvement. There is currently an opening for a BOD Member at Large.
2019 dues are due
- Kat Smith reported Tooters that at the November Club Dive on Veteran’s Day weekend great conditions were enjoyed all weekend and during the night dive at Breakwater. Butterfly House had super calm conditions and not as urchin damaged as expected. Point Lobos was even more calm and conditions good enough to get around outside the point. 50-60’ vis with nearly 60 degrees water. Kat had some gear problems so stayed in cove and saw tons of marine life.
- Cozumel dive trip – Ariu Levi reported up to 100’ vis, great conditions. Larry Muth (aka ‘The Elder’) nominated Tooters in general for a Good Buddy award for taking good care of him and helping him to dive. Jono Dove saw two beautiful peacock mantis shrimp.
- Pre-Cozumel – Neil Benjamin went cave diving, and was joined by Bill Briscoe and Ajna Cackovic for cavern diving. They joined the Cozumel group and then returned to the Tulum area for more cave and cavern diving.
Upcoming Activities and Dives
- January 12-13 – Urchin removal at Van Damme State Park, POC DL Popplewell
- January 19 – Club Night Dive at Breakwater, POC DL Popplewell
- April – Scuba Show in Santa Clara
- Chuuk Lagoon – all spots are sold out and the wait list is now open
- August 24-25 – Salt Point Club Dive weekend, POC Debbie Driggers
- Maumere – Komodo – Bima, Indonesia aboard the Explorer Adventure Blue Manta, POC Dennis Hocker
- Larry the Elder is thinking of putting together at trip on the Pelagian (Wakatobi, Indonesia). Let him know if interested
- Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip.
- Feb 7: General Meeting
- Feb 21: Board of Directors
Meeting Adjourned at 9:12 pm