General Meeting Minutes July 2017
Reported by Kari Klaboe
Meeting called to order by President Jono Dove at Round Table Pizza in Castro Valley, CA at 7:33 pm.
Speaker: Larry Muth – Wakatobi Resort, Indonesia
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- August: Members Night
- Sep. or Oct.: Clay Wiseman or California Academy of Science on Mesophotic Diving
- November: [TBD]
- December: No general meeting
If you would like to present photos or video during Members Night, please contact Gayle at firstname.lastname@example.org one week in advance of the August meeting. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann – not present)
Membership (Debbie Muth-Driggers)
70 members, including associates and lifetime members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- No training scheduled right now, but contact Dennis if you have interest in a specific course.
- Alan found a guide for an underwater navigation course at Breakwater and we are hoping to use it on a club dive for training.
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
July newsletter came out! If you are not receiving a copy, check your spam or junk folder first and then contact Lola at email@example.com for assistance. Newsletter content due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
Larry Dimitri has volunteered to help with integrating our Square payment on our website. If you have website content, contact Lola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 93 members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 54 members. Participation is limited to club members.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
Constitution & Bylaws: Changes posted in the June newsletter were passed.
Lifetime Membership for Apple: Motion by Dennis to make Renee (Apple) Applegate of Dive Paradise a Lifetime Member of Aqua Tutus. Renee was a student of Aqua Tutus in 1988. Lee mentioned that Apple has a great Cozumel newsletter and noted that she’s extremely helpful to divers coming to Cozumel and to Aqua Tutus club members that travel to Cozumel for diving. Second by Larry Muth. Motion passed.
- Breakwater in Monterey (Gayle Hudson, Alan Throop, and Susan): Gayle’s first dive since she broke her foot. Alan helped Gayle carry her gear down to the water. Great diving. They saw a friendly sea lion and large Lingcod.
- Silver Prince Boat Dive in Monterey (Fritz): Twelve-foot high waves in the bay, so couldn’t make it out of the bay. First dive was at Eric’s Pinnacle. Second dive was Shale Reef. The visibility was 5 feet, not great dive conditions.
- Lover’s Point, Pacific Grove (Jim and Debbie Driggers): Navigated from Lovers 2 to Lovers 3. Surface conditions were good, but the visibility was around 5 to 10 feet.
- Northeastern Caribbean (Larry Muth, Jono Dove, Patti Shannon, Dennis Hocker): 621 dives by the 15 people on the boat during the two-week long trip. Water temperature was around 84 degrees. They saw lots of juvenile fish, including a juvenile trunk fish. Also saw a Manta shrimp, sea turtles, and lots of lionfish. Note: Never touch a seat turtle because if they are on their way up to breathe and you touch them, you’ll scare them and they’ll go down and suffocate. Statia was a cute island and suggested by Jono as a great dive location.
- Monastery, Carmel: Club members have gone on several dives at Monastery. On July 4, the visibility was around 15 feet and the water temperature was around 50 degrees.
- North Coast (Baerbel): Abalone diving at Stillwater Cove. Visibility was bad. Tons of sea urchins.
- Good Buddy Award: Alan Throop for being a scuba Sherpa for Gayle.
- Bone nominations: Mike
- Mike poked a torpedo ray because he thought it was dead.
- Larry Muth had a free-flowing regulator that he had fixed on the boat, then he situated himself between Jono and Arnie who are notorious for not being good a sharing air.
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- July 29: Club Dive at Lover’s Point – POC Kat Smith
- September 9-12: Channel Islands trip with Vaqueros del Mar dive club – contact Alan Throop
- September 29-October 1: Salt Point – POC Nancy Gearty
- August 18: Silver Prince boat dive in Monterey – POC Kat Smith
- November 11-18: Roatan Island, Honduras – contact Nancy Gearty
- December 21-January 6: Cozumel, Mexico trip – contact Patti Shannon
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- Next Membership meeting: August 3, 2017
- Next BOD meeting: July 20, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 9:14 pm.