General Meeting Minutes March 2018
Reported by Jono Dove
Meeting called to order by Vice President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Rickys Sports Bar and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:31 pm
Speaker: Bruce Watkins, “The Best Beach Dives of Monterey County”
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
April: Dennis Hocker – Dive Equipment Maintenance
May 3: Jan Freiwald, PhD, Executive Director of Reef Check: Abalone and North Coast Update
June 7: Members Night – Submit your photos/videos to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a flash drive/CD/DVD to the next Aqua Tutus Club or Board Meeting
July 12: Backscatter – Underwater Photo and Video: Shooting Compact Camera Systems in Cold Water
Please check Meetup and the Aqua Tooter for entertainment updates. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know at email@example.com!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Account: $5,610.77$1,892.12 for classes
$3,717.65 for general account
Membership (Elizabeth Gilroy)
- 52 members total
- 9 lifetime members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Advanced Open Water class with weekend at Lake Tahoe Sept 8 and 9If any interest in training agenda: First Aid, CPR, DAN O2 provider– please contact Dennis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rescue Diver class this Fall (CPR and O2 provider required)
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
Contact Lola at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 128 Members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 74 Members, 25 Pending. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
Committee to investigate Club Liability Insurance – Seeking ATDC members who are interested in contributing time, effort, and/or knowledge are welcome. Please contact Kari Kalboe at email@example.com to offer your time
- Club Banners have been ordered – should be at next club meeting
- Aqua Tutus Board Member-at-Large Jeff Doney passed away peacefully surrounded by family and his wife Shelia on Feb 12, 2018 – Jeff’s contributions and memories were appreciated and will continue to be remembered by all those who had the pleasure of knowing Jeff and diving with him
- Alan Throop and Myran Gyst have been appointed as board members at large. Elections will happen in June for Board Members at Large for 2018-2019
- Club laptop needs replacing. Gayle will reach out to Oliver Edwards for technical advice and guidance
- Club Dive at MacAbee Beach: 9 club members went – Gayle Hudson saw only 1 pile perch, a couple of sea stars.
- The Muth-Driggers spent a week at Wakatobe Resort – Jim counted 19 dives and 1 snorkel session. Conditions were great overall with little rain. The resort provided its usual level of outstanding service. Jim found a turtle with a stump rear foot who was not afraid of humans and allowed for a close encounter. Linda found a number of Pygmy seahorses (3 in one day and daily sightings thereafter). Dives lasted 65-70 minutes on average.
- Dennis Hocker went to Thailand: It was an experience. Dive sites were in good shape. Dennis set several new records: Shortest night dive ever at 36 minutes and most consecutive dives under 60 minutes. As was stated previously… it was an experience.
- Matt Warren: Diving with his friend DL down the old pipe at San Carlos Beach saw lots of kelp – conditions were surgy. Visibility was awful. Lots of moon jellies
- Good Buddy Award
- No candidates this month
- Bone nominations
- Gayle Hudson – Bought two new steel high pressure 80’s and changed up her weighting – but managed to forget her two 10 pound weight pockets in the car. Lesson learned: always check your gear before you go!
- Matt Warren – Took the bone home last week and did not return it. Lesson learned: Don’t forget to bring the bone to Aqua Tutus meetings and don’t wear the bone home!
- DL for forgetting her wetsuit in the hotel. Lesson learned: Your buddy is not your external memory – always be responsible for you and your gear!
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- St Patty’s Day Club Dive at Del Monte Beach: Wear something green to dive in! Potluck following the dive. Patti Shannon-Hocker POC
- Pre-Tax Club Social at La Cabana: Drown your tax-bill sorrows or celebrate your impending tax return over margaritas and tacos at La Cabana, 7163 Rich Ave, Newark, CA 94560 (Google Maps)
- April 21 – Kats Birthday Dive at Whalers Cove: Kat will be celebrating her birthday weekend in Monterey. Come, celebrate, and dive! Reservations are now open – follow link to register your dive team.
- Long Beach Scuba Show: June 23 and 24
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- Northern Channel Islands: Sept 8-12 Vaqueros Del Mar Dive – typically $600 for three days on the Conception. Reservations are open!
- Annual Pilgrimage to Cozumel: Before Christmas, 2018 to Friday after New Years 2019
- Return to Truk Lagoon June/July, 2019 – Sold out – All spots are filled.
Next Membership meeting: April 5, 2018
Next BOD meeting: March 15, 2018
Meeting adjourned at 9:19 pm