General Meeting Minutes March 2019
Reported by Debbie Driggers (for Secretary Gayle Hudson)
Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon Hocker at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:35 pm. 45 members present.
Speaker: Mike Boom – Video Retrospective on Diving in Indonesia.
Guests: Chris, grew up in a dive shop, just getting back to diving; Isabel from Germany has been diving for 15 years and wants to find people to dive with; Kathy and Tom from Alameda Divers, they are moving out of the area and are selling off some camera and dive gear.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $5,990.10
- Classes: $2,178.21
- General Fund: $3,811.89
Entertainment (Jen Pechacek-not present, reported by DL Poppelwell)
- April: Marc Shargel, UW photographer, NorCal
- May: Meg Donat, Hyperbaric Chamber
- June: Members Night
- July: Josh Russo, Purple Urchin Removal Project
Membership and Meetup (Kat Smith-not present, reported by Gayle Hudson)
- 48 Regular, six Associates, eight Lifetime members
- Dues are due. Can be paid online, checks/cash/square to Kat
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- AOW: will be held in August. Must do three to five club dives prior to joining the class.
- If interested in the NAUI Training assistant, check with Neil for prerequisites.
- Rescue Diver class this September or October if enough interest (CPR and O2 provider required)
- If there is interest in any other class subjects, let Dennis know.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month. Content is always welcome. Dive reports and photos encouraged.
Webmaster (Kari Klaboe)
Website up to date and current newsletter posted. Content can be sent to email@example.com.
Holiday Party: December 7 at La Cabana – party planning will probably begin in August
- March 16 dive on the Southern California oil rig: Devin’s spot is open talk to him if interested.
- Reef Check will be starting up again soon for the coming year. Talk to Dave Chervin.
- Members are encouraged to attend BOD meetings
- Dues are due
- Kari – Club Dive at Lover’s moved to Breakwater due to the filming of Big Little Lies. Good turnout.
- Rick Cederstrom – Pacific circuit, dream trip of a lifetime
Rick Cederstrom – for missing a tropical dive boat experience because he couldn’t figure out the time zone!
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- March 7-10, 2019 – International Ocean Film Festival, SF www.intloceanfilmfest.org Volunteer opportunities are available
- March 9 &10 – Purple Urchin dive at VanDamme State Park. POC is DL Popplewell
- March 9 – Amos Nachom is showing a film in Monterey, details in the Tooter
- March 23 – Club dive at Coral Street (or McAbee) POC is Kat Smith
- March 30 – La Cabana dinner 6pm-ish – meet the new owners and introduce the club to them. Please RSVP so Patti can give them a head count.
- April 26 & 27 – Scuba Show in Santa Clara – Purchase tickets ahead of time to save some money
- April 27 – Snorkel/swim from McAbee back to Breakwater. POC Jenn Pechacek
- Summer – TBD – potential golf ball clean-up dive; Gayle will advise date.
- Chuuk 2019 – Sold Out! Wait list is now open
- August 24-25, 2019 – Salt Point Club Dive weekend. POC Debbie Driggers. Reservations now open
- May 4-5, 2019 – Long Beach Scuba Show
- September 8 -12 – VDM Channel Islands dive, please let Alan know if interested
- Maumere – Komodo – Bima, Indonesia aboard the Explorer Adventure Blue Manta. POC Dennis Hocker
- Dennis is looking into a Bonaire trip (July)
- March 21 – BOD
- April 4 – General Meeting
- April 18 – BOD
Meeting Adjourned at 8:45 pm.