General Meeting Minutes May 2018
Reported by Jono Dove
Meeting called to order by Vice President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Rickys Sports Bar and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:31 pm
Speaker: Jan Freiwald, PhD, Executive Director, Reef Check Abalone and North Coast Update
Guests: Jenn, Mike Cox, Laurie Nasland, Ryan LaCoste, Jenn (the second)
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
June 7: Members Night – Submit your photos/videos to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a flash drive/CD/DVD to the next Aqua Tutus Club or Board Meeting
July 12: Backscatter – Underwater Photo and Video: Shooting Compact Camera Systems in Cold Water
August 2: Brian Nelson, Monterey Bay Sanctuary
Please check Meetup and the Aqua Tooter for entertainment updates. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know at email@example.com!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
Club Account: $4,617.55
Membership (Elizabeth Gilroy)
- 63 members total
- 9 lifetime members
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Advanced Open Water class with weekend at Lake Tahoe Sept 8 and 9.
- If any interest in training agenda: First Aid, CPR, DAN O2 provider– please contact Dennis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rescue Diver class this Fall (CPR and O2 provider required)
For more information on training contact Dennis Hocker at (510) email@example.com or Neil Benjamin at (510) 673-0073 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
Contact Lola at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 128 Members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 74 Members, 25 Pending. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
Committee to investigate Club Liability Insurance – Seeking ATDC members who are interested in contributing time, effort, and/or knowledge are welcome. Please contact Kari Kalboe at email@example.com to offer your time
- Board members at large will be voted upon in June. Please consider joining the board!
- Dennis celebrated a birthday
Kari celebrated her birthday on the same day as Dennis
- Kat’s Birthday Dive at Point Lobos was a lot of fun for all those who made it. Visibility was awful but everyone had fun nonetheless.
- Dave Chervin did his ReefCheck recertification (and passed!)
- Gary; Went diving with Jim Steele’s class on Sunday. Conditions were tough.
- Matt Warren and Linda: Dove breakwater twice. Top side was full of divers- Dove the pipe instead and found fewer divers and not many urchins. Found nudibranchs and other exciting unidentified creatures.
- Several divers on two trips went out on Sanctuary Tours for an afternoon of whale watching. It was a lot of fun and highly recommend excursion.
Good Buddy Award
- Elizabeth Gilroy nominated Jono – but he may not deserve it. The club decided he may actually deserve the “Annoying Buddy” award.
- Kat Smith nominated Gayle Hudson for bringing her gear home, washing it, and bringing it to the Club Meeting. Happy birthday Kat!
No-one was caught or admitted doing anything bone-worthy
Upcoming Activity and Dives
May 26-28: Purple Urchin Cull, Ocean Beach Sonoma County Coast – POC Bill Chinnock
June 23 and 24: Long Beach Scuba Show – scubashow2018.com
June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
Sept 8-12: Northern Channel Islands Vaqueros Del Mar Dive – typically $600 for three days on the Conception. Reservations are open! Contact Bill Delimeter 925.455.6834, $600 for 3 days
December 20, 2018 – January 5, 2019: Annual Pilgrimage to Cozumel – Come for some, all, or more! Contact Patti Shannon Hocker at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
June/July, 2019: Return to Truk Lagoon – Sold out – All spots are filled.
Next Membership meeting: June 7, 2018
Next BOD meeting: June 21, 2018
Meeting adjourned at 9:19 pm