General Meeting Minutes November 2017
Reported by Kari Klaboe
Meeting called to order by President Jono Dove at Round Table Pizza in Castro Valley, CA at 7:30 pm.
Speaker: Alan Throop
Guests: Vicky (Jim’s Student), Jack, Janey
Entertainment (Gayle Hudson)
- December: No general meeting
- January: [TBD] – Meeting date moved to January 11!
- February: Paul Rosenblum – Indonesia
- March: Dennis Hocker – Dive Equipment Maintenance
Please check Meetup and the Aqua Tooter for entertainment updates. If you have any requests or suggestions for future entertainment, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
Club Account: $4,945.12. Please remember to buy your tickets for the holiday party!
Membership (Debbie Muth-Driggers)
Training (Dennis Hocker – not present)
- No training scheduled.
Newsletter (Lola Johnston)
Contact Lola at email@example.com if you are not receiving the newsletter. Input due by the 20th of the month.
Web Goddess (Lola Johnston)
Content can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media (Gayle Hudson)
- Facebook: 119 Members. Participation is open to the public.
- Meetup: 69 Members, 14 Pending. Participation is limited to club members. Meetup instructions are available on our website.
- YouTube: We are looking for more video uploads and recommend the video length be five to eight minutes.
- Officer Elections: The floor was opened for nominations before voting. Listed below are all officer nominees. Names in bold were elected to their respective officer position by the general membership.
- President: Matt Warren, Kari Klaboe
- Vice President: Patti Shannon-Hocker, Fritz Welss
- Secretary: Jono Dove
- Treasurer: Helga Mahlmann
- Membership: Elizabeth Gilroy
- General Meeting Location: The general membership voted to move our monthly meeting to Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro.
- Volunteer Positions: We are still looking for help with Entertainment and Website/Newsletter Assistant. Please email the AT Board if you are interested in helping out.
- La Cabana on December 9. Contact Alan if you would like to help out with the party.
- Advance: Member & Plus One ($10/each), Child ($5/each), Guest ($15/each)
- Non-advance: Ticket costs increase.
- Philippines (Dave Chervin, Dennis Hocker, Jeff Tindall): Nine nights in Dumaguete at the Atlantis Resort. Dave also spent a day snorkeling with whale sharks. Diving depths were typically between 60 to 70 feet and visibility was around 20 to 40 feet (not great because it rained quite a bit). They saw a few flamboyant cuttlefish and lots of little shrimp and crabs.
- Club Dive at Lover’s: Buoyancy and trim were the focus of the skill dive. On the second dive, Neil and Matt saw a plainfin midshipman.
- Point Lobos (Muth-Drigger Family): There was a lot of surge that day, so Linda and Jim opted for snorkeling. Other divers that day had to go down to a depth of 90 feet to get good visibility.
- Monterey (Neil Benjamin, Elizabeth Gilroy, Bill Briscoe): Visibility was not great and the water was cold. There were also a lot of sea nettles.
- Good Buddy Award: None
- Bone nominations: Dave Chervin
- Jeff Tindall nominated for forgetting to turn on his air a couple of dives during the Philippines trip. He also forgot his weight belt on a separate dive during the trip.
- Dave Chervin self-nominated for forgetting his weight belt on one dive and forgetting his fins on another dive.
Upcoming Activity and Dives
- November 11-18: Roatan Island, Honduras – contact Nancy Gearty [trip full]
- November 18: Club Dive at San Carlos Beach – POC Alan Throop
- December 2-3: Channel Islands Again – Contact Nancy Gearty [5 spots open]
- December 9: Club Holiday Party
- December 21-January 6: Cozumel, Mexico trip – contact Patti Shannon
- June 28-July 8: Papua New Guinea – contact Dennis Hocker
- Next Membership meeting: January 11, 2018
- Next BOD meeting: November 16, 2017
Meeting adjourned at 8:54 pm.