General Meeting Minutes October 2019
Reported by Debbie Driggers for Secretary Gayle Hudson
Meeting called to order by President Patti Shannon-Hocker at Ricky’s Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro, CA at 7:30 pm.
Entertainment: Alison Young, California Academy of Sciences – Nudibranch Photography
Members present: 37
Guests: Barbara – San Lorenzo teacher, her dive buddy got a job so she’s looking for new buddies.
Treasurer’s Report (Helga Mahlmann)
- Club Assets: $6,044.61
- Classes: $2,778.21
- General Fund: $3,266.40
Entertainment (DL Popplewell)
- November: Members Night
For Members Night: give a thumb drive with photos/videos to DL or Lori in advance of the November 14 meeting. Length not to exceed five minutes. If you can’t send it early, please arrive to meeting early so your presentation can get into the queue.
Help with Entertainment is always welcome, including taking notes of the presentation, recommending speakers, and back up for Alan to do set up.
Membership/Meetup (Kat Smith)
9 Associate; 8 Life; and 86 Regular for a total of 103 members.
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Advanced Open Water (AOW) currently underway and will dive North Monastery October 5. Tooters welcome to join the dive if interested.
If there is interest in any other training, let Dennis know. For more information on training, contact Dennis Hocker at 510 792-5606 firstname.lastname@example.org, or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 email@example.com
Newsletter (Kari Klaboe for Alan Throop)
The newsletter went out via Mail Chimp. Contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not receiving the newsletter. Content is always welcome and input is due by the 20th of the month. Dive reports and photos are encouraged.
Web (Kari Klaboe)
The website up to date and current newsletter posted. Content can be sent to email@example.com.
- Holiday Party: Kari Klaboe is helping Alan for this event, which will begin at 6:30pm on December 7 at La Cabana. Kari passed around a signup sheet for volunteers. This is a great party – raffle (to benefit the Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber), dancing, great food, games, Santa! Patti encouraged everyone to sign up as soon as possible so food can be planned. Volunteers are still needed for general jobs, also looking for someone to run the raffle.
- Kat volunteered to take the raffle and Devin volunteered for anything that no-one else wants to do. Linda will do photos. Please buy as soon as possible, prices go up December 1.
- We will take a photo at the November meeting of club members to hang in Ricky’s. This is a request from the owner of Ricky’s.
- We are looking for new club officers for 2020.
- The club does have insurance so if you are an officer or doing something for the club you are covered for the amount of money in our accounts. We also have coverage through CenCal for meetings and events. Our dives are not covered because it is “same ocean, same time.” We will dive with you but are not diving as guides.
- Nominations are open for all positions. Several officers are willing to continue in the positions if no one else is interested. A description of the positions is available in the Tooter.
- Nominations: Helga, Kat, and Gayle have self nominated for their current positions. Nomination will be opened again prior to voting in November.
- November meeting moved to a week later on 14 November due to a Raider game.
- Kat: Club dive at Copper Roof house was moved to South Monastery. Several club members attended and a second dive was made at Breakwater. Good conditions. Kari and Mike both walked out most impressively. Others practiced “the crawl.”
- Dave Chervin: reported that a good number of club members attended the recent Reef Check movie. Kelp appears to be returning to Otter Cove and Lover’s 3.
- Alan S. had a nice dive at Breakwater.
- Devin dove recently, somewhere in Monterey, terrible conditions but did see a leopard shark near the shale beds.
Bone / Good Buddy Nominations
- No Bone nominations.
- Derek nominated for Good Buddy by Kat for driving when she didn’t have to.
Upcoming Activities and Dives
- October 12: Club Dive is a Full Moon (almost) dive at Breakwater, 4:30 pm. POC is DL Meet at the lower parking area. Some lights may be available for loan, but please bring your own if you have them. A tour of the Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber will be held at 9:30am. 20 spots are available and there is no cost. Only two signed up now please let Helga know ASAP if interested if no more people, she may have to cancel. You can call and leave Helga a message.
- November 9-11: Club Dive Veterans Day Weekend, three days of diving.
- 9th will be Copper Roof
- 10th will be Point Lobos.
- 11th location TBA.
- Kat also has rented a house that sleeps ten or more. House is fully booked but there may be floor space available.
- December 20 to January 4: 16th Annual Cozumel Extravaganza. Patti will arrange hotels, contact her for space. Dive with Dive Paradise. $86 per room per night dbl occupancy or $82 for single in a room. The dive sites that have been reported to closed are expected to be re-opened as of Dec 15. Contact Patti to be added to info list for 2021.
- May 8-18: Indonesia, one space remaining. Dennis is POC. Additional spaces might be available; please check with Dennis.
- June 26-July 10: Bonaire with Dennis.
- October 17: Board Meeting
- November 14 – General Meeting ** NOTE changed date **
- November 21 – Board Meeting
Meeting adjourned at 9:10pm.