General Meeting Minutes September 2020
Reported by Gayle Hudson, Secretary
Meeting called to order by President Jono Dove at 7:02.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the meeting was held via Zoom.
- Arnie Warshawsky presented slides from last December’s Cozumel trip with ATDC.
- Linda Phillips showed a video from the Monterey Bay Aquarium on their Sea Otter Surrogate Program.
Members present: approximately 30
Treasurer (Gayle Hudson for Helga Mahlmann)
- Classes: $2,778.21
- General: $3,613.44
- Total Assets: $6,391.65
Entertainment (Alan Throop)
- September 24: Natasha Benjamin, speaking about deep-sea UW ROVs.
- October 1: Stephen Palumbi, Prof. of Marine Biology at Stanford University’s Hopkins Marine Station: The Women Who Saved Monterey Bay
- November 5: Members Night
- December 3: Marty Snyderman, well-known UW photographer, educator, writer
- Sign up for Members Night in November by emailing email@example.com
Membership (Reported by Gayle Hudson)
74 Regular; nine Associate; seven Lifetime; one Student for a total of 91 members.
Training (Dennis Hocker)
- Dennis reported seasoned divers will be available to dive with newer divers at a good refresher Club dive at Coral Street on September 26. Dennis and Neil will be leading an Advanced Open Water night dive on October 17.
- For more information on training, contact Dennis Hocker at 510-792-5606 firstname.lastname@example.org or Neil Benjamin at 510-673-0073 email@example.com.
Newsletter (Alan Throop)
Alan would like photos, dive reports, interesting article, or other input for the Tooter. He needs input by 9/20.
Website (Kari Klaboe)
Kari reported the website is up to date and Linda Philips has volunteered to be the Webmaster for 2021.
Intro of New Club Membership System – Larry Dimitri and Committee
Larry is a software developer who is working with a committee from the Board of Directors to develop a Club Portal that will enable members to communicate with each other online, receive Club communications and the Aqua Tooter newsletter, and eventually replace Meetup for Club activities. Larry gave a PowerPoint presentation to introduce the system to the membership. He estimates the system will go live in about ten days.
2021 Board Officers: Nomination Committee Seeking Candidates
Jono Dove announced nominations for the 2021 Board of Directors will be taken at the October 1 General Meeting and elections will be held at the November 5 General Meeting. If you are interested in serving on the Board or have questions, please contact Board Member DL Popplewell, who will be organizing the slate of candidates.
Upcoming Dives and Activities
all subject to Shelter-in-Place
- September 26: Club Dive at Coral Street. Skill building and educational session with season divers available to buddy up. A night dive will also be held. POC is Dennis Hocker.
- October 17: Club Dive. POC is Linda Phillips with assist from Alan.
- November 13-15: Multiple Club Dives (Monterey, PG, Pt. Lobos). POC is Kat.
- June 26-July 10, 2021: Bonaire with Dennis. There is a space available.
- August 20-30, 2021: Diving in Indonesia. POC: Dennis. Three spaces are available. See ad in newsletter.
- Debbie Driggers and Larry ‘the Elder’ Muth reported on the August 14-16 Salt Point weekend to celebrate Larry the Elder’s 88th socially-distanced birthday. Four snorkeled and at least one member dove, as well as Linda Muth who was testing out a rental camera lens for her upcoming trip to skin dive with humpback whales. The big surprise, and what capped Larry’s birthday with a bang, was the thunderstorm and lightening show in the middle of the night that started the wildfires; everyone got up to watch. Jono Dove reported he came through the area on Monday, enroute home from a motorcycle trip, and camped at Gualala Point Regional Park. The ranger told him whales had been feeding 20’ offshore. Debbie said they saw a lot of them from a distance but not close up.
- Neil Benjamin dove Lake Tahoe August 29 and 30. He had two dives with reasonable visibility at Rubicon Point and experienced a hose leak from his BCD. He said a man strung a slack line across the bay and walked across, and it was surreal to see someone walking above him while he was in the water.
- RXScuba’s (Dennis and Patti’s home) compressor is now working and you can get your tanks filled. Payment in Anchor Steam beer is encouraged.
- Jono announced Arnie Warshawsky, who now lives in Hawaii, has joined the Board as a Board Member-at-Large.
- Linda and Gayle announced Zoom Breakout Rooms, wherein members can socialize after the meeting and Linda moved members into Zoom rooms labeled Equipment, Past Dives, Monastery, Training and Education; Dive Trips and Travel; and Everything Else.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM and members enjoyed socializing in the Breakout Rooms for about another 40 minutes.
- The next Special Presentation is September 24.
- The next Board Meeting is September 17.
- The next General Meeting is October 1.